This Doesnr Really Fit In Either Cichlid Section

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
6,879
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
GB
ok as the title says really i keep new worlds sevs geos etc i have been looking increasingly at africans my tank is 100g

i have no experience of africans i just know i love the looks of them

so can those of you with experience in both please share yor experience and the pros/cons of both

many thanks
 
I'm going to be of no use to you now as I keep Africans but would love New Worlds.
My African tank keeps me glued all the time as they are so active and it's great fun keeping an eye out for new fry and watching them grow.
I'd love a New World tank because I can't get enough of Cichlids and love the character each of them has.
The plus side to an African tank is you can mix a lot more fish than you can with New Worlds!
 
its the vivid electric blues etc thats drawing me to africans . the colours of some of those fish are amazing
 
I'm going to be of no use to you now as I keep Africans but would love New Worlds.
My African tank keeps me glued all the time as they are so active and it's great fun keeping an eye out for new fry and watching them grow.
I'd love a New World tank because I can't get enough of Cichlids and love the character each of them has.
The plus side to an African tank is you can mix a lot more fish than you can with New Worlds!

I find that although african cichlids are more eyecatching (arguably), they lack the real character personalities that are seen with the New World Cichlids,
I am also not too fond of the decor that is really required for an african setup, IMO african setups look ugly, (an i guess thats why I have absolutely no interest in Marine)
Also as Stang says, a 100G will give you many more options for african setups than NW setups, as in the main, Overstocking is a necessary part of any malawi setup,
One day I would love a big aulonocara setup, but not for one second would i personally decide to stop keeping New Worlds
 
There are some stunning colours with the Africans, especially some of the Peacocks.
I got fed up of drooling over our 280G display tank at work and decided to take the plunge myself. No room for that big a tank so made do with a 137G one.
 
true i do like my bogwood roots etc. . and i am rather attatched to my sevs . the setup i could live with . the personality well ive got used to having that now with my fish . so i wouldnt like that part.

i keep looking at this pic and thinking oh my god i want 1 now!!!!!!!

[URL="http://www.verse914.com/frontosa3_D70.jpg"]http://www.verse914.com/frontosa3_D70.jpg[/URL]

getting a bit of a thing for frontosas .

flametails had me drooling too
 

Most reactions

Back
Top