This Board Could Discuss....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The forum guidelines are coming together. There have been suggestions at pinning
  • :
  • a definitions section
  • an FAQ section
The former is not as easy as it looks. Someone pointed out that there is a lot of confusion about this. Eg, think about these terms:
  1. hypothesis
  2. evidence
  3. theory
  4. opinion
  5. law
  6. peer review
  7. control
....to name a few.

The initial topics to be posted will most likely be 'selected' to avoid an uncontrolled free for all. As we all get the flavor for this, the forum could be open for posting as long as guidelines and decorum are maintained. I wish people to understand that, presently, I am simply doing some typing, etc, to help get this going. Perhaps, and I don't want to say anything prematurely, there can be some 'submods' or 'science mods' (not sure if you can get the buttons tho')..but...members selected to ensure debates remain fair and on topic and have some level guiding authority. Thoughts on this are appreciated.

SH

Hello Steelhealr --

One of the things people misunderstand about science is that it isn't about facts, its about method. What sets the science apart is that things are laid out in a way that someone else can come along and test the idea.

Specific to fishkeeping, take something like "salt added to the aquarium helps goldfish". It might be true. It might be rubbish. But adding salt to your aquaria all your life and not having problems doesn't prove it is true, any more than adding salt to your goldfish tank and seeing them die proves it is false.

What makes something a scientific experiment is zeroing out the other factors. There's a paper on freshwater tolerances of marine pufferfish freely available here. What makes it "science" is the experimenters have run a bunch of tests using a number of specimens of each species keeping everything constant except the salinity. They then have an objective measurement of "health" in terms of measuring any deviations in blood plasma composition over time. Bottom line, they establish that some species in the genus are euryhaline and prosper across a range of salinities, while others don't despite the fact they may periodically be found in brackish water from time to time.

To me, that's the sort of thing to look at here. As someone interested in brackish water fish, this study impacts the received wisdom in the hobby that euryhaline fishes need increasing salinity as they age. Quite clearly, the euryhaline puffer in that paper at least will adapt to any salinity within its tolerances. For fishkeepers, understanding the actual biology is the key to keeping our livestock better.

Cheers, Neale

...but wither or not one fish should be sacrificed to feed another with human intervention is not science! That is psychology!
I can't help but laugh :lol:
The biologist in me appauds that statement, but by definition psychology is the science of the mind. I can't help but scoff at that on some level, but most psychologists do infact consider themselves scientists.

Personally I think this should be used for anything that goes more in depth, rather about chemistry or moral.

Organisms feel pain on a scientific level

Oh really? Wiki points this out:

Pain is defined as “an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damageâ€￾ - International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP). Scientifically, pain (a subjective experience) is separate and distinct from nociception, the system which carries information, about inflammation, damage or near-damage in tissue, to the spinal cord and brain.

The part of the brain which deals with the emotional side of pain in higher vertibrates (such as mammals) is not present in fish. As a result, there is no consensus as to whether fish do or do not feel pain as it is described in science.

I can't help but feel maybe we could look at some sort of "myths" thread where we look at things taken for granted by many in the hobby and see how true they are (stunting for one). Obviously that would be one for later.

And here....is my 4000th post.

Thank you nmonks for that link. These are the types of things that will be good topics to break down here. Gettin'
there. SH

Organisms feel pain on a scientific level

Oh really? Wiki points this out:

Pain is defined as “an unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damageâ€￾ - International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP). Scientifically, pain (a subjective experience) is separate and distinct from nociception, the system which carries information, about inflammation, damage or near-damage in tissue, to the spinal cord and brain.

The part of the brain which deals with the emotional side of pain in higher vertibrates (such as mammals) is not present in fish. As a result, there is no consensus as to whether fish do or do not feel pain as it is described in science.

I can't help but feel maybe we could look at some sort of "myths" thread where we look at things taken for granted by many in the hobby and see how true they are (stunting for one). Obviously that would be one for later.

...and wiki pages can be written by little children who have been given a dose of caffeine.

...and wiki pages can be written by little children who have been given a dose of caffeine.

That's good! Why defend your view point by replying to the substance, when you can attack the carrier? Ad hominem attacks are usually the first sign that you have nothing to back up your claim.

So, where is your evidence of a consensus within science that "Organisms feel pain on a scientific level"? After all, you made the claim, you have to bring the support.

If you don't like wiki on the IASP, how about the British Pain Society

Pain is an emotion experienced in the brain

Pain is not the ability of the body to inform the central nervous system that tissue damage is occurring, it is the way in which said data is processed for future events.

Oh good andy, you beat me to it :)

That's good! Why defend your view point by replying to the substance, when you can attack the carrier? Ad hominem attacks are usually the first sign that you have nothing to back up your claim.

So, where is your evidence of a consensus within science that "Organisms feel pain on a scientific level"? After all, you made the claim, you have to bring the support.

If you don't like wiki on the IASP, how about the British Pain Society

Pain is an emotion experienced in the brain

Pain is not the ability of the body to inform the central nervous system that tissue damage is occurring, it is the way in which said data is processed for future events.

Oh just stop it Andy! You don't have to act like a little twit. This is a scientific section and I personally think that it would be a smart idea to stick with things that aren't mental because this subforum won't be be about science anymore, it with be "I think that the fish feels lonely, don't you? No, I think it want to swim with the beach ball!!" Garbage. You will just end up with a whole group of hippies tring to find out how to fish "feels".

Oh just stop it Andy! You don't have to act like a little twit.

Ad hominem again. I am not acting like a twit, I am replying to your posts.

This is a scientific section and I personally think that it would be a smart idea to stick with things that aren't mental because this subforum won't be be about science anymore,

Very true

it with be "I think that the fish feels lonely, don't you? No, I think it want to swim with the beach ball!!" Garbage. You will just end up with a whole group of hippies tring to find out how to fish "feels".

Quite so, but you stated that all organisms feel pain in a scientific way. I pointed out that the scientific definition of pain is different to how you perceive it and provided two sources of evidence for that. I asked you to back up your claim and you cannot, instead you have started to creep ever closing to insulting me.

This is what the science forum will be about: science!

If someone can provide details of a paper relating to fish feeling "lonely" (a possible topic would be the effects of keeping shoaling species on their own) then it should be fine to discuss. The discussion of whether fish feel pain is truly an interesting one, but you have to do it from science without generalisations or anthropomorphisation.

We shouldn't stop discussing something just because you can't back up what you claimed.

Danno --

You're missing the point: this is exactly where science comes in, where you don't want issues to be decided by personal belief systems.

There's ample research being done on pain in fish. Lynne Sneddon at Liverpool has been in the popular press quite a bit recently because she's been doing some very innovative studies. As Andy has said earlier, fish don't have a brain put together the same way as we do, so trying to compare how they *might* feel pain to how we feel pain is comparing apples to oranges. Or, if you want a better analogy, like saying a PC program doesn't work because it doesn't run on a Macintosh. The two systems are different, so you can't make 1 to 1 comparisons.

The problem with defining pain in fish has been (and remains) that simply detecting and avoiding a source of pain doesn't imply the animal feels pain. When we touch something red hot, we pull away by reflex long before (in neurological terms) our brain registers the thing as being hot, let alone painful. The point here is that this reflex prevents us hurting ourselves. By analogy, if a trout bites an angler's hook and then tries to swim away, it *might* be feeling pain, but then again, it *might* simply be reacting to something causing harm.

As far as the animal scientists go (and they are, after all, the only people in a position to judge) the definition of pain is that an animal not only reacts to the harm, but changes its behaviour afterwards. To take an example, if we sprain our ankle, we not only "feel" the pain, but also *change* our behaviour to try to avoid causing more pain by putting weight on the ankle. More importantly to the definition, the changes we make to our behaviour are negative ones -- we walk more slowly and more clumsily -- trading avoidance of pain against doing things like finding food or escaping from predators. A positive change in behaviour, such as not touching hot objects, isn't evidence of pain, it is evidence of learning, because this new behaviour doesn't diminish our ability to do things, but rather improves them. Practically all animals can learn to avoid bad things: even slugs and worms.

OK, so what she's been doing is damaging (temporarily) certain structures on a fish to see if the behave differently. One experiment was injecting acid into the lips of trout. The acid obviously would "sting" like a bee sting. In her experiments she also used some trout that were injected with saline, which would cause no "sting" and so acted as the control. The trout that had been treated with acid went off their food and exhibited odd behaviours including rubbing their lips against solid objects and rocking from side to side. According to the scientists involved, these were similar to what you'd expect from higher animals like mammals (i.e., signs of "rubbing" something to make it feel better, and exhibiting stress behaviours from pain). The trout injected with saline didn't show any of this, clearly demonstrating that these odd behaviours followed on from the sting of the acid, not from being handled by the scientists or from the needles.

To be fair, not all scientists accept that this study proves conclusively that fish feel pain, but many do. It is considered by the Royal Society of London, the oldest scientific society in the world, to be the "first conclusive evidence indicating pain perception in fish". Dr Sneddon puts it simply: "This fulfils the criteria for animal pain".

As someone who actually has worked on animals in labs and has a zoology degree as well as experiencing of teaching biology, the whole question of animals and pain is something I feel should not be skated over glibly. If you want to believe that fish do not feel pain, that's fine and that's your right. But the scientific argument isn't there to support you. The people doing the research aren't hippies and they're not bunny-huggers. They're genuinely interested in knowing of the things we do to fish cause them suffering.

If you want to follow up the stuff I've described above, please have a read of this and check out the bibliography at the end.

Cheers, Neale

Oh just stop it Andy! You don't have to act like a little twit. This is a scientific section and I personally think that it would be a smart idea to stick with things that aren't mental because this subforum won't be be about science anymore, it with be "I think that the fish feels lonely, don't you? No, I think it want to swim with the beach ball!!" Garbage. You will just end up with a whole group of hippies tring to find out how to fish "feels".

I see we have different points of view. If the scientic section is going to be like this in the furture I think i'll take my leave and read some books instead to find an answer. I guess the welcome wagon got ran over by andywg.

Just relax for a bit Danno. :rolleyes:

I've never actually thought about it that way nmonks, however I always believed that fish feel pain in some way, but definetely not like us.

Danno, you are going to have to learn how to argue like a scientist if you are going to want to participate in this subforum. Firstly, that means no name calling.

Secondly, it means looking things up to rebut what another poster says. For example, instead of ranting and making silly stories about hippies, you could have looked up some info about fish and pain. For example, using a quote from Yue, Moccia, and Duncan ("Investigating fear in domestic rainbow trout" in Applied Animal Behavior Science, vol 87, 2004) you could have quoted them saying "A full review of this evidence is beyond the scope of this paper, but briefly, the major argument lies in the fact that the neuroanatomical structure and function between fish and higher vertebrates are more similar than previously thought (Rakic and Kornack, 2001; Chandroo et al., 2004)."

Then emphasized the recent research that argues that fish brains and higher vertebrates' brains are closer than previously thought. Meaning that while fish brains may not have the exact same structures, they may indeed be capable. You could even go to the Rakic and Kornack and the Chanroo et al. articles to cite even more specific research that shows why the brain structures are more similar than thought.

This is an example of how to carry on an argument.

By the way, this is probably a great example of an argument that isn't going to be won by either side, not for a long time. There is pretty good evidence on both sides. I've actually argued both sides before, citing the relevant research, just to show people that the issue is not a cut and dried as they may think.

Thirdly, it is very important, from a scientific point of view, to define exactly what terms are. In this case, defining what "pain" is is very central important to the discussion. The definitions have to be presented because what I mean by pain has to be the exact same thing as you mean by pain, just like when I say 4 you know what 4 is. If you think that 4 means 6, then the conversation takes on a very different meaning. Just like if you use the word "pain" incorrectly, the conversation takes on a very different meaning.

Finally, the science of feeling is very important. If a fish feels pain, shouldn't there be a discussion on appropriate forms of euthanasia? On appropriate handling procedures? etc. This is exactly the kind of questions that need to be looked at from a scientific point of view, rather than on an emotional level, because emotions and "gut feelings" and intuition don't always yield the correct results. They can be blinded and misled, whereas pure science is meant to be objective. Human nature doesn't often allow pure objectivity, but it is still the goal of science to be as objective as possible. And, if the ability of fish to feel pain can be studied objectively, it is important to try to help answer those questions I posed above, and questions about appropriate fish-farming and whatnot as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back