This Board Could Discuss....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Distilling the correct/most recently accepted scientific names for fish etc. It could infact contain an expanding list of fish common/old/ne scientific names; especially for points of reference in discussion.

This board could also discuss new chemical/general techniques in fish rearing and breeding of rare/hard to breed fish (but maybe this could use a breeding forum).

Dear all, welcome to this new section on TFF!

Until we have a chance to devise some rules in a pinned topic please do not post any new topics in this section other than broad discussion of what this forum is about. We hope to have pinned topics created in the next few days.
Thanks,will :good:

Or maybe you could just read what William wrote properly. :good:

Could cycling questions be asked/cycling journals? It's cluttering up the NTTH board, though, it might get frustrating with cycling topics overwhelming more scientific topics.

Woohoo, it's finally here!

Cycling seems a little low-tech for a specialized forum like this, maybe there could be an in-dept pinned topic on the more advanced chemistry of it though? IE the scientific names of the specific strains of bacteria involved and how they convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrate, etc. Discussion of new information/studies regarding all that is fishkeeping would be nice, and maybe lots of pinned topics with that information, yes? I'm thinking things like the 2000 report of the American Veterinary Medical Association on euthanasia and such, that has been a very informative document for me.

EDIT: This seems like a good place for personal studies too, let's say if someone were to objectively test the effectiveness of one of those "cycle in a bottle" products that I am so skeptical about, or something like that.

Mark7616:

"broad discussion of what this forum is about"

reword the statement correctly, I engaged in broad discussion of the board, not new topics.

---------

Note : Thankyou :p sorry just re-read that, i was a little harsh!

This is a fine idea SH! If there are any zoologists out there who specialize in aquatic life, I imagine that this is a fine place to discuss dissertation topics and theses, especially if they are appropriate to this forum. A person could get some imput from their peers. Or if someone has access to a thesis or dissertation database about these subjects, we could discuss the research. A person could also post excerpts from their own writings for comment and discussion. I am, of course, discussing all of this broadly. :p

llj

My thoughts exactly.

Also for those rare/hard to breed etc. fish, we could provide locations where to buy them/their food etc. and help those on the road to helping the hobby in this important manner, by then offering accurate and sourced information etc.

Also for those rare/hard to breed etc. fish, we could provide locations where to buy them/their food etc.
I don't think the scientific forum would be a place to talk about where to get rare fish. That would be better placed in either TCC or the appropriate species specific forum for the fish.

Also for those rare/hard to breed etc. fish, we could provide locations where to buy them/their food etc.
I don't think the scientific forum would be a place to talk about where to get rare fish. That would be better placed in either TCC or the appropriate species specific forum for the fish.

Thats fair enough, I just figured that breeding rare fish would be of scientific import, and therefore, where to find them/their food when wishing to start a project would be good, and provide awareness to others...

Perhaps thorough write-ups of what the diseases are and how to treat them? I know I've never been able to find anything specific about any of the illnesses I've come across. Seems you always have to start a thread about it.

(Please direct me to the section on fish disease, if one exists.... thanks!) :good:

Perhaps thorough write-ups of what the diseases are and how to treat them? I know I've never been able to find anything specific about any of the illnesses I've come across. Seems you always have to start a thread about it.

(Please direct me to the section on fish disease, if one exists.... thanks!) :good:
Yes, I think the discussion of fish disease, illustrations of syptoms, how medications work etc would be very helpful as well as interesting. For example the entry for camallanus worms in Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess's 'Tropical Fishlopedia' although helpful would have been more so if it had had some illustrations. I wondered what happened to the worms after dosing, one of my fishes swam round for a day with the worm hanging out dead (I think) Did the worms still inside die?

i think it could be like the fish index but more of a breeding journal from experience, so like we could have the usual catfish, cichlids etc but have inside a breeding journal for each fish that the members add.
just my idea! :good:

I'd personally like to see this sub-forum be a step away from practical considerations or even applications. We *have* forums about disease, rare fishes, plants, etc. Discussions of whether hydrometers are worse than refractometers or what sort of lighting works best for corals are better placed in the more general forums where others can share.

I think this forum should be more cutting-edge stuff. Where science meets the hobby, and what that means for the hobbyist. Some topics, off the top of my head...
  • Do fish feel pain, and if they do, does it matter?
  • How osmoregulation works (as opposed to how hobbyists think it works).
  • Should aquarium water chemistry conditions match preferred conditions in the wild?
  • Should governments regulate what fish are imported? In the UK, anything exotic and coldwater is banned for conservation reasons -- good thing or not? What's the evidence that aquarists releasing unwanted fish in the wild has done any harm?
  • Antibiotics in the aquarium -- the pros and cons. Is drug resistance actually an issue?
  • Does fish collecting for the hobby endanger wild populations? (cf. Banggai cardinals and galaxy rasboras.)
  • Are anaerobic substrate conditions in aquaria safe or even desirable?
  • Taxonomic changes: Maylandia vs. Metriaclima, Panaque vs. Panaqolus, and so on. Do these changes matter?
  • Experimental methods in fish breeding (e.g., species with freshwater adults but marine larvae).
Anyway, this is the sort of thing I'd bring up.

Cheers, Neale

some good points above but i do think there should be a breeding journal, i think alot of people could benefit from it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back