Third Day Of Fishless Cycle.

And you don't even have fish yet!!!
whistling.gif

Watch out for MTS!!!
big_boss.gif
(Multiple Tank Syndrome)

Unfortunately there is nothing that can protect you from MTS.

A sensible fiancée and a wedding to pay for can stop you getting multiple tanks but nothing can stop you wanting more!

True on bot h counts.

A 10 gallon tank can house two bettas (with a divider). ;-) Saves you a little space.

Leighton87 this is weird, I'm getting married this August so saving is a big objective but come on it's only a ten gallon tank ;p
And as for the ten gallon divided yes i like the idea but how do you filter/heat both sides consistently?

I've never done it, but folks in the betta splendens forum could certainly give you some help with that. Generally, I think its probably pretty easy to do. The water won't be too different temp wise - probably the easiest way to try things would be to have the intake for the filter on one side, and the outflow on the other side. This would keep the water flowing side to side, and I'm thinking if the heater and the intake were on the same side, it might work better. That way the warmer water would always be splashing into the other side, and the colder water would be pulled into the side with the heater - to heat it.

I've checked out their pictures, but never studied how they have things set-up.

Congratulations,it will be here before you know it! Time fly's.
Eagle, I take it your on about using an external filter? I was looking at the fluvel edge 46ltr, it would look nice in the bedroom and quite a small footprint so would be easy to have on a bed side table as such?.

I believe it could be done (very carefully) with a HOB, but an external would be easier in my opinion. Honestly, I'm just conjecturing how I would do it. I'd ask the betta splendens folks though. They do it all the time. Some even use a 15 gallon and split it three ways.

Leighton87 this is weird, I'm getting married this August so saving is a big objective but come on it's only a ten gallon tank ;p
And as for the ten gallon divided yes i like the idea but how do you filter/heat both sides consistently?

The dividers are perforated, so water can flow through but the fish can't.

Well, sure, but does that alone allow for even heating?

I assume so, otherwise those nice people in the betta splendens section woudn't be doing it!

I was just wondering if they do anything special to ensure even heating, or do they just add one heater to one side and let it go like that... I know bettas prefer less flow, so I'd assume that they'd take some sort of special precautions... Maybe they don't heat it at all. :dunno:

Mr eagle,Mr lock,thanks for taking your time to answer my questions and even some questions that I haven't even thought of yet :)
I like the idea of a divider which is perforated that seems like a logical idea,the heating is the tricky part bit as s you both suggest ,ill get over to the betta splenden section and ask them.
Just a quick update for you guys,i added my 4ppm of ammonia on the 5th and I think there might be the tiniest of drops in Ammo but the difference in the shade of green is that slight that it could be just the difference in ambient light? Is there a certain way to check the colour of the fluid (API master test kit) ie hold liquid upto light and colour card next to it or hold the test tube onto the card next to colour,I find the last way not that accurate cause the other colours on the card interrupt the correct colour!!
If you have a proven way of doing this PLEASE HELP haha cause I don't want to be doing it wrong.

Mr eagle,Mr lock,thanks for taking your time to answer my questions and even some questions that I haven't even thought of yet :)
I like the idea of a divider which is perforated that seems like a logical idea,the heating is the tricky part bit as s you both suggest ,ill get over to the betta splenden section and ask them.
Just a quick update for you guys,i added my 4ppm of ammonia on the 5th and I think there might be the tiniest of drops in Ammo but the difference in the shade of green is that slight that it could be just the difference in ambient light? Is there a certain way to check the colour of the fluid (API master test kit) ie hold liquid upto light and colour card next to it or hold the test tube onto the card next to colour,I find the last way not that accurate cause the other colours on the card interrupt the correct colour!!
If you have a proven way of doing this PLEASE HELP haha cause I don't want to be doing it wrong.

Posted twice again!!! >:I

The best way is to use natural light and a WHITE background. Honestly, though, the drops and the levels between 2ppm, 4ppm, etc. are fairly inconsequential during a fishless cycle. Until it reads 0, or very close, there is no need to add more ammonia. So, you get to continue the "wait" part of the "Add and wait" method. The biggest action during a fishless cycle is "waiting".

Most reactions

Back