Thinking Of Making A Small Tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
ok i want to make a small tank full of my frags and new corals to make a coral garden :good:

i have a 17L? would that be too difficult to keep up? e.g sg?
what would a good size be?

also i would love a shrimp + goby pair:D but 17L would be way too small what would be the smallest tank that would hold them?
would a river reef 48 be good enough? but i would love a orca tl450 :nod: so much you can modify :hey: this will only be a small project after Christmas :good:

While smaller is always more difficult, 17L is perfectly doable in terms of stability as long as you don't let maintenance slide (my small tanks have to be part of my daily routine just like coffee in the morning). Lids can go a long way to helping out with sg, although heat can be a tradeoff issue depending on what room temperature is and how much lighting you need. Of course, I wouldn't put any fish in something that size, save for perhaps one of the really tiny gobies (e.g. Gobiodon okinawae). Things like sweeper tentacles can be a menace in small spaces, so corals would also require some care as far as selection and placement. I have no experience with the orca tanks or shrimp goby pairs so that's about all I can offer.

(Edited to fix some typos)

As above smaller tanks can be done, especially if you have experience with keeping marine tanks. IMO soft corals work best in really small tanks (zoa's and mushrooms) as these are generally more tolerant of water fluctuations and you don't have to worry about them stinging each other.

The orca 450 is a nice tank (was my first marine tank and I have had it set up on and off over the last couple of years). As you said there is a lot you can mod on it :)

so would a orca be fine for a shrimp and goby pair? maybe 2 gobys? i wish i had space for a 550 but 1 no space 2 its gone up in price and i could get a d-d 28g one with 105W lighting (with no cabinet) for the same price :good: but a 450 will be fantastic :hyper:

The largest smallest tank is best. 17L's (?4 gallons) is virtually a pico. They can be a rough first tank. SH

this topic is a tad old but,

Yasha goby with a candy cane pistol shrimp

Very entertaining to watch. the shrimp is always moving one piece of sand/rock all the time. In a smaller tank you have a better shot of them ending up where you can see them. These shrimps can also pair up with other gobys. yasha's are more expensive. I've had a yellow rose goby before too.

im considering a 16L for my first tank :S
is it really that bad an idea?

BAD, can you go for much bigger tank, Pico's and Nano's are very hardy to keep stable and are generally for the more experienced aquarists.

Most reactions

Back