Thinking of getting some Maroon Clowns

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

J-Money

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding to my tanka couple of maroon clowns. Are there any anemones that would host them that wouldn't need great specialized lighting? Something like a Tube Anemone?

Sorry, but no.

Tube anemonies are nonhosting anyhow.

Are the Tomatoes going to be the only inhabitants? They are some of the more territorial and aggresive. Certainly true when in a pair...IME anyway.

As Navarre has pointed out. Clowns will readily bed down in toadstools and various other easy to care for corals.

I fyou have your heart set on an anemonie however, I would go with a sebae. Mine has proven to be very hardy and seems to be one of the species more tolerant of varying conditions.

But as with all anemonies, lighting and good quality water conditions are very important. Not to mention, your tank must be matured, not just cycled to have succes with an anemonie.

GL

Thanks for the info, I figured I'd try to get a pair of smaller sized yellow-striped maroons if I can find them, then later add a medium fuzzy dwarf lion and then a Niger trigger.... :whistle:

The yellow striped maroons will host in an atlantic anemone (mine did) but the extra care and lighting required for them really isnt worth it. Even if you did get an anemone for them there is no gaurentee they will take to it. Your better off with a sarcophyton (leather muschroom) as they will readily host in this. The mushroom is as good a beginners coral as any and very forgiving to beginners.

My Yellow stripe in a leather mushroom
clown5.jpg

I had this coral under T5 florescent. A friend f mine has one under standard lights with no problems.

The one shown in the link is a baby one i think. as they grow larger they become more like the one in my photo.

Maroon clowns are very aggressive, you need to buy a mated pair or a single fish. They wont tolerate other clowns :no:

Jasmine is right, whilst mine didnt show any signs of aggression at the start, once it found its home in the mushroom it did defend it bravely against much larger fish.
Definately not a clown tht will tollerate other species of clowns. You might get away with adding a 2nd maroon later should you want to but its still risky.
They also grow alot larger than common clowns too so be prepared for what might lie ahead of you should you purchase any.

I think i'll probably try to pair it with a smaller tank-raised goldstripe maroon in a month or so if I can find one...Should I wait longer?

Most reactions

Back