Thinking Of Buying A New Tank...

It depends on how old your house is because a newer floor will be stropnger, water weighs alot, my largest tank is 180 litres and my dad who is a builder said he wouldnt want to risk putting thatin my room and the house we are in is only about 2 years old.
I would advise you to speak to a pro about buildings.
 
EDIT: The only thing I'm worried about is that its going to be in my room, and I'm worried if the floor will be able to hold the weight? What do you think? :crazy:

It depends on how old your house is because a newer floor will be stropnger, water weighs alot, my largest tank is 180 litres and my dad who is a builder said he wouldnt want to risk putting thatin my room and the house we are in is only about 2 years old.
I would advise you to speak to a pro about buildings.

I'd say most floors would be strong enough to handle a 260ltr tank but structural integrity is not something which can be second guessed - it's different for different types/ages/qualities of housing. The only way you can really be sure is to get a structural engineer to come and look at the floor and give you a professional opinion.

Floors are incredibly strong things and in the realm of furniture, etc. 200-300kg spread between a few joists shouldn't be an issue at all. I have a 6ft, 135g (which I calculated as 600+kg) tank in the second floor living room of our 30 yr old townhouse.. I had a structural engineer come and look at the joists which support the floorboards and to help find exactly which direction and where they are so that the tank could be placed so that it is perpendicular to them and goes across as many as possible. I personally wouldn't go to that effort for a tank half the size, but if it makes you feel better to get it approved..
 
I'm going to ask my parents about that - thanks!
But because it has really worried me anyway, Ive decided to get a Juwel Vision 180, which is obv only 180l. How many gals is that?

Thanks :)
 
Pitbulls (2") may end up looking a little lost in such a big tank, Bulldogs (3-4") wouldn't be so bad.
Personally i'd go for a group of Queen Arabesques, gorgeous Pleco IM(bias)Opinion
 
to help ease your worry with weight i have a juwel rio 400 in my room which is upstairs and the floor hasn't creaked yet. its got a few boulders and about 3inchs of sand but we had our upstairs done about 10 years ago (our house was a bungalow with a huge roof)
 
to help ease your worry with weight i have a juwel rio 400 in my room which is upstairs and the floor hasn't creaked yet. its got a few boulders and about 3inchs of sand but we had our upstairs done about 10 years ago (our house was a bungalow with a huge roof)
OLD TOPIC!!!

and no tank is safe upstairs, get an engineer in
 

Most reactions

Back
Top