Thinking about getting tiger barbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Just thought about fish species and I thought about getting 6 ish tiger barbs to my 33 gallon, 80 cm in lenght.
What I should know about them? I heard they can be little nasty fish sometimes.

My hardness is 253ppm, calcium is 81, pH is above 7.0.
Stocking is 3 swordtails, 2 mollies, 4 guppies, 6 white clouds, 1 pleco, shrimp, 3 platies, tommorow I might get couple more female guppies from my lfs. Shrimp I keep > cherry, amano, gabon and I'm planning on getting some bamboo shrimp too.
Planned stocking is either 8 aenus corydoras or 12 kuhli loaches.

Tiger barbs need to be kept in a group much larger than 6. Think like 10-15 or more, to even out their aggression. And not good to keep them with livebearers who have longer fins.

They do best in a species only tank.

Tiger barbs need to be kept in a group much larger than 6. Think like 10-15 or more, to even out their aggression. And not good to keep them with livebearers who have longer fins.

They do best in a species only tank.
Hi, you're good people NC. I have a male swordtail, and a juvenile swordtail who grows his own sword now, and my other male has a long sword. Do you think if barbs would rip it off?

Yeah they'd go after their fins. Tiger barbs are not really the best community fish for peaceful aquariums.

If you wanted a more peaceful barb, cherry barbs are pretty good. Your water hardness is fine for them as well. Keep 1 male to 2-3 females, a school of 6 at least.

I've kept cherries with ghost shrimp, no issues.

Yeah they'd go after their fins. Tiger barbs are not really the best community fish for peaceful aquariums.

If you wanted a more peaceful barb, cherry barbs are pretty good. Your water hardness is fine for them as well. Keep 1 male to 2-3 females, a school of 6 at least.

I've kept cherries with ghost shrimp, no issues.
Thank you, I will get cherries then.
Cherry shrimp and cherry barbs :lol:

Any other fish I could put in?
Also, I can't really decide on keeping cories or kuhlis. Had a nice debate with my betta, but he's a fish and he doesn't understand human words :lol:

Hi, you're good people NC. I have a male swordtail, and a juvenile swordtail who grows his own sword now, and my other male has a long sword. Do you think if barbs would rip it off?
Barbs are super active and semi aggressive fish who will love tearing up your guppies and other slower moving fish fins.
Your GH is a bit hard for barbs as well, goid for live bearers not so much for barbs.
Ive kept barbs in the past with danios( super fast) and rainbow shark, also semi aggressive but keeping them with live bearers one is just asking for trouble

Barbs are super active and semi aggressive fish who will love tearing up your guppies and other slower moving fish fins.
Your GH is a bit hard for barbs as well, goid for live bearers not so much for barbs.
Ive kept barbs in the past with danios( super fast) and rainbow shark, also semi aggressive but keeping them with live bearers one is just asking for trouble
What about cherry barbs like @NCaquatics said?
Maybe danios? I'm not really sure, I'm looking for some fish that are as good as livebearers, but smaller or something..

Wouldn't do loaches or cories with your water hardness, especially not the loaches.

Seriouslyfish lists cherry barbs able to take GH up into the 300s, so they'd be fine. And I've got mine in with livebearers too.

Want problems? Get tiger barbs for a community tank. I don't trust any fish that has "barb" in the name. I have read that other barbs are not aggressive. I'm not that trusting. How about some Cardinal Tetras. A school of 7 would be nice. Don't just buy less than 5.

Want problems? Get tiger barbs for a community tank. I don't trust any fish that has "barb" in the name. I have read that other barbs are not aggressive. I'm not that trusting. How about some Cardinal Tetras. A school of 7 would be nice. Don't just buy less than 5.
Her water is way too hard for tetras unfortunately.

Cherry barbs are something of an exception when it comes to barbs, so they tend to work in more situations than the other barb species which are in general terms active fish, sometime feisty to varying degrees. Danios are another group of cyprinids which are primarily active swimmers, but usually without the possible aggression--but, danios like the Zebra are known to fin nip long-fin fish. Much of this has to do with tank space too; the smaller the space, the more negative impact it can have on such fish and this stress brings out aggression that might not show up in a larger tank. And the group size, the more of the species the less likely they will lash out. Nevertheless...there are always exceptions of course, but assuming the norm is safer.

You asked about kuhlii loaches and cories. Generally, kuhliis will be "hidden away" as they are more nocturnal. Cories tend to be out and about more, including during darkness. Loaches and cories are not advisable. Wild caught cories would not work in this GH, but the spcies like C. aeneus, C. paleatus, C. panda are better choices. Keep the temp down too (generally I mean, not fussing over summer heat waves), mid 70'sF (24 C) better for cories, and the minnows.

What about cherry barbs like @NCaquatics said?
Maybe danios? I'm not really sure, I'm looking for some fish that are as good as livebearers, but smaller or something..
Cherry barbs are good,maybe even rosy barbs, though they get a bit bigger and your sword tails may pick on them.
Danios are good in long tanks with other really active swimmers or as dither fish for larger shy fish.
Cherry barbs are easy hardy fish, as long as you have more females to males, i usually suggest 3 females for every male to curb aggression towards females but they dont normally bother other fish.
Cherry barbs arent really a hard water fush either as they do better in softer water but the they are hardy fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back