Think Tap Water Is Clean?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

always4lora

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi'

I use a HMA filter for my larger tank and it runs 24/7 as i have a constant water change, i change the cartridges 2-3 times a year (cartridges do 20 thousand galons).
The hma is hooked into the normal tap supply ( so whatcomes out of the tap when i grab a drink) and look at the amount of crap the filters pick up! New cartridge on the left old on the right.

photo.jpg

well that's just lovely! almost makes me want to switch to bottled! (almost, but not quite! :lol: )

Same prefer to bottled but gross when you pick it apart lol

Most bottled water is the same as tap water just adding a little bit of the bottle dissolved into the water

It's what gives you that distinctive taste and tells you that your home. LOL. As a kid I lived in Arnhem Land (Northen Territory Australia so many Aussies don't know where it is so thought I better clarify) and all our water was Artesian water, I loved the stuff but every time we went to Brisbane (Queensland) I hated the taste and smell of their water and always found it putrid. Right now in Australia there is a major push for people to install rain water tanks (again) and I reckon in a few years as people take less care of thier gutters and what is going into their rain water tanks, they are going to start getting some pretty funky water happening. UMMUMMM Yummy dead frogs, the odd dead bird, if your really lucky a resident possom will also manage to fall in and drown adding its special unique taste, plenty of pollution that has settled on the roof and the ever enterprising mozzies will find gaps in the covering fly screen and breed up a storm.

Makes you hope all the people putting in rain water tanks intend to only use the water on thier yards and not go drinking the stuff :sick: .
I have drunk heaps of water from rain water tanks, and each place will have a distnict taste and even now sometimes I think I would prefer to just drink my fish tank water.

As a guest on a farm its pretty hard to avoid drinking their tank water as its usally the only "drinkable" water on the place and it's not generally considered polite to ask "and when was the last time you cleaned/ checked your tank?" Tea or coffee is usually the safest drink because at least the water has been boiled.

I mainly wanted to highlight the pitfalls of people thinking they are drinking "clean, healthy, unpolluted" rainwater from tanks when in actual fact they have now idea what might be lurking in there.

And as a general rule I stick to drinking town water.:good:

For 20,000 gallons, I think that looks pretty darn good really. It just looks bad because it is all concentrated down. Dissolve all that stuff into a body of water the size of a swimming pool, and you wouldn't even know it is there. I would wager quite a lot that if you put 20,000 gallons of bottled water through the same filter, that it would be rather brown, too.

At really low concentrations, there is nothing in there that is harmful, if the water come from a public utility. Governments are pretty darn strict about water. And really, those of us who live in places where water is cheaply available probably should be far more thankful that it is cheap and clean. There are a great many number of people who don't have anywhere near the access to water like most of us forum members have.

Yeah our house runs a well and its not the best water on the planet but it passes drinking water tests that are required since we run a daycare. We use to have a water softener but removed it due to remodeling. ATM my dad is hooking up a new hot water heater, hot water tank, old water softener, sediment filter and he wants RO but I keep telling him no :rolleyes:. I'm moving in a month so it doesn't matter much to me anyway. I will miss that well water though. Gonna be on city water.... I'll have to deal with chlorine for the first time ever lol. As far as water goes the last thing I will drink is bottled unless its my one bottle that I keep refilling with tap water. I love my well and will often drink straight from the natural springs down the road. Same source as my tap water I think. Both have 20ppm of nitrate and are less then a mile apart. A few hundred feet difference in elevation though...

I would bet my well water contains a lot more silt then that. I could careless really though. Its not harmful so I will drink it all the same. Like when you go camping (for real) a week straight of drinking only strained and boiled lake water and your supply of a half dozen different kinds of koolaid :D .

One of the springs I often visit. On a 80+ degree summer day they will still pump out water in the high 40's.
P1020200.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back