Things growing on wood.. identification?

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 28, 2021
Messages
139
Reaction score
42
Points
28
Location
Leicestershire, UK
I’ve noticed two different things growing on the spider wood in my tank. These little black dots and the light colour stringy bits. I do have black sand which I initially assumed the black bits were but they look slightly smaller and darker than the sand. A lot of it is attached all around the branches too.
I just wanted to check it’s not anything I should be worried about but mostly just interested! Any ideas? ?
 

Attachments

  • F1C51C69-32B0-4221-9D04-8A49DBC35B21.webp
    F1C51C69-32B0-4221-9D04-8A49DBC35B21.webp
    149 KB · Views: 206
  • EE747E74-AA86-4844-8AB4-5310D5CA8F2D.webp
    EE747E74-AA86-4844-8AB4-5310D5CA8F2D.webp
    149 KB · Views: 170
  • FA53BBCB-D3C5-4B45-BE60-EAC1361521DA.webp
    FA53BBCB-D3C5-4B45-BE60-EAC1361521DA.webp
    195.9 KB · Views: 173
  • F22F07AA-1E13-4183-904A-D504A2A8B128.webp
    F22F07AA-1E13-4183-904A-D504A2A8B128.webp
    132.7 KB · Views: 186
I’ve noticed two different things growing on the spider wood in my tank. These little black dots and the light colour stringy bits. I do have black sand which I initially assumed the black bits were but they look slightly smaller and darker than the sand. A lot of it is attached all around the branches too.
I just wanted to check it’s not anything I should be worried about but mostly just interested! Any ideas? ?
Some sort of brown algae or diatoms, is my guess
 
After some more research im pretty sure the black one is black beard algae. I still can’t work out what the little stringy bits are though
 
After some more research im pretty sure the black one is black beard algae. I still can’t work out what the little stringy bits are though
They almost look like roots...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top