Thermometer Shattered

Krill

Reaction score
My glass thermometer (the type that suction to the edge of the tank with the red line that goes up and down to indicate temperature) shattered in the tank.

Does anybody know what is in the thermometer ? mercury and what that will do to the fish - currently the tank holds Cherry Shrimp (last count 10 but was rising), cardinals and gourami, I have completed a 80% water change, should I change the substrate? (It is a small tank 36l).

Thanks

I broke one a couple of days ago but luckily it was outside the tank but there was lots of very small particles of glass.

Remove the glass particles, Water change,
Run some new black carbon,
Any changes in fish behavior?

Thanks, I have added in carbon. I have one scrimp that has gone to god. The rest of the fish are behaving normally (hard to see as I did one rapid water change and really stirred up the substrate to get as much glass out as possible, so the tank is very cloudy),

I just did a search on this site for "Mercury" and found an interesting old post about the red line being alcohol and mercury not being used, now lead ball bearings that you remove with a magnet.... very interesting. Having black gravel I have not seen the ball bearings, so once I find a magnet I will give that a go. What effect does the red alcohol have on the media? I am guessing it may kill it (being alcohol is one great sterilizer) and I may have to start cycling the tank again.

I would test your water in a few hours.
Sorry about the shriimp.
rip.gif

I forgot about removing the lead balls with a magnet.

Good Luck.

The amount of alcohol might not be that much to do any real harm, it might be diluted a lot in that amount of water.
After I read your post about the mercury I did know that but to be honest totally forgot.

I had never really looked at the thermometer that closely
smile.png
I wonder if human thermometers are still using mercury? I had a fun day fishing out lead balls from the substrate, and think I have most of them. Also I have added some carbon to the filter.
Unfortunately after about 18 hours - all the cherry shrimp and most of the cardinals have died
rip.gif
. The Gourami looks fine.

Went out and brought an API master test kit (I have been wanting one for about two years and gave myself an early christmas present - as I ran out of the old strips). The color card that came with the kit had not printed properly, so back to the LFS to get a replacement card.

The good news is the stats are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 40
PH - 8 :-(.

I have added some PH lowering solution and will retest in about 12 hours to see what happens. I don't think the high ph is related to the thermometer break, but probably some other tank conditions (I have black gravel and a few small pieces of old coral (coral now removed).

I would have thought the Nitrate would have been lower considering I did a 80% water change.

I will let the tank settle for about two weeks, and if stable restock, maybe with some hardy neons.

On a postive note at the LFS I was able to drool over some beautiful tanks that I am itching to upgrade to and I found that their is an custom aquarium shop about 5 min drive from where I live and by verbal reports - affordable
yahoo.gif

Sorry for your losses.
rip.gif

What is your tap PH.
I wouldn't really advise using PH adjusters there more trouble than there worth.

The tap water PH is 7.2. My tank is currently sitting at 7.4. I haven't done much research into ph. Should I just leave the tank at the current ph and let the new stock adjust to that ph or is their some method to lower the ph that is gentler?

Thank you for your advice and support!

I believe adding peat or bogwood can lower the PH, haven't tried it myself though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Article on PH
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/ph.htm

The tap water PH is 7.2. My tank is currently sitting at 7.4. I haven't done much research into ph. Should I just leave the tank at the current ph and let the new stock adjust to that ph or is their some method to lower the ph that is gentler?

Thank you for your advice and support!
as Wildres post link points out.
messin with PH is a world of pain, for only short term gain.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back