The Wonders of the Water Change.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Is there anything in our hobby that cannot be helped by a water change?

As far as I can see, every single issue addressed in the hallowed portals involves a water change.
It's cheap, it's easy to do and it always seems to be effective.
I am getting some kind of contact dermatitis on my hands, particularly the right, from all these wonderful water changes.
Ordered a pair of above the elbow rubber gloves today from Amazon & am applying cortisone.

Water changes don't treat white spot, velvet & other protozoan infection, fungus or some bacterial infection, but they do help most other fishy related issues. Having said that, big regular water changes and tank maintenance does help prevent a lot of these from occurring. :)

OK, emailed them Io myself. Great links, thanks again.
I actually have a hose that hooks up to the kitchen sink, used for bathing spoiled canines with warm water on the back deck.

I think the only time to avoid water changes is when you have delicate fry, things like Gourami or Betta fry like their conditions stable, Some of the tetras are the same. I also was careful of water changing when I had Cichlids looking after eggs or fry and I preferred not to water change.

I just moved three baby cichlids (guppy size) found in the sump tank, to a 10 G tank. They have gone into hiding. Saw one under the sponge filter and not sure if others there too or in a small rock cave.

Water changes don't treat white spot, velvet & other protozoan infection, fungus or some bacterial infection, but they do help most other fishy related issues. Having said that, big regular water changes and tank maintenance does help prevent a lot of these from occurring. :)
Although whilst water changes do not treat those conditions, they DO facilitate treatment.

Is there anything in our hobby that cannot be helped by a water change?

As far as I can see, every single issue addressed in the hallowed portals involves a water change.
It's cheap, it's easy to do and it always seems to be effective.
I got perfect chem readings today on new 90 gal tank. No ammonia, no nitrite, neglible nitrate, same as tap. Good pH. how much and how often would you change water on a tank with good parameters?

I swear by water changes for any issues in my aquariums....mother natures own medication, fresh, clean water.

(Touches wood) never had any cases of Ich or any other illness/disease..ever.

Weekly water changes of 50% minimum with bottled water. I use blue single use nitrile gloves everytime I do maintenance (even during the pandemic, had no issues getting stocks of them delivered). A new pair of gloves for each aquarium and each aquarium has its own tools and equipment to prevent any potential cross contamination. Gloves are single use (thrown away after each aquarium has been worked on) and all equipment & tools are put in the dishwasher and boil washed (without detergent, obviously).

I swear by water changes for any issues in my aquariums....mother natures own medication, fresh, clean water.

(Touches wood) never had any cases of Ich or any other illness/disease..ever.

Weekly water changes of 50% minimum with bottled water. I use blue single use nitrile gloves everytime I do maintenance (even during the pandemic, had no issues getting stocks of them delivered). A new pair of gloves for each aquarium and each aquarium has its own tools and equipment to prevent any potential cross contamination. Gloves are single use (thrown away after each aquarium has been worked on) and all equipment & tools are put in the dishwasher and boil washed (without detergent, obviously).
Fish are pretty hardy really, you may be surprised at how resilient to disease they actually are. I agree water changes are the best thing for your aquarium.

I got perfect chem readings today on new 90 gal tank. No ammonia, no nitrite, neglible nitrate, same as tap. Good pH. how much and how often would you change water on a tank with good parameters?
25-50% every week 👍🏻

My thoughts...
Wild fish normally live in water that is being constantly changed.
My water changes try to replicate that to some degree and, like much of my aquarium care, it is another habit I've developed through repetition, just like feeding and water testing, etc..
Purely out of habit now, I change 16 litres of my 88 litre tank thrice or at least twice a week.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back