The "Traveling Ammonia Crew"....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
so I think at some time, everyone has had a fish or a few, that you don't know what to do with...

this came to me today...

1st I have a common pleco, that is 8-9 inches long...
2nd I have a handful of Glo Tetras that survived my initial bad water, & their tank underwent a big change over ( I'm actually a bit embarrassed that I bought them, but they were part of a "theme" tank, that has now gone south American, & I want to replace them with more "regular" Tetras in shoals...

so what do you do with those unwanted misfits??? I don't have tank for their "forever home" right now, but I do set up tanks that I had 20 years ago... so I think they are going to become my "tank cycle crew"... right now I have 2 tanks, that some Tilapia breeders are going to be moving into in a few weeks... one tank with a divider will hold the potential parent's, until timing is right... so "cycle crew will move into that tank, until the day that the Tilapia come inside... at which time they'll move to breeding tank, & can stay there until it's that time... at that point I could move them back to the 1st tank to keep the bio filter active, until it's time to separate the adult Tilapia from the fry... by that time I'll likely have my next "regular tank" ( a 45 gallon built in next to the others ) cleaned out & filled, ready to start "cycling" for a while before the fish for that tank are chosen...

so anyway, that's my thoughts... eventually the pleco could go out to the aquaculture tanks outside, next summer...

Last edited:
That's why aquarium clubs used to exist - they were great for rehoming. Now, it's a lot more difficult.

Hate to say this but I have had to euthanize fish I cannot find homes for. Most of the time you can find someone who wants a fish but sometimes there is no home to be found. Typically only fish like the old pleco type, random guppies etc are a problem but I stopped breeding Angels because I could find homes for them all after a while.

The Ammonia Crew has their 1st job… it’s a 45 gallon with a divider, over filtered, with 2 - 60 gallon rated sponge filters, and a pair of Seachems Tidal 75’s…. to take handle the bio load of 4 adult Tilapia of course right now lacking any beneficial bacteria… starting crew is 6 purple and 1 orange glo Tetras, and 1 pleco… potential others to add, as the crew develops…
IMG_4378.jpeg
IMG_4379.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back