The TFF General Aviation Thread (those things with wings)

Took a bit more skill to build these, over the plastic type...had alot of fun with them, my Dad (born 1928) built them, as well

That link you've provided is for someone who readily charges the Earth, exploiting those in 'need' and without a better awareness of sourcing the pre-owned. ;)
He makes a good living...a very good living.

That link you've provided is for someone who readily charges the Earth, exploiting those in 'need' and without a better awareness of sourcing the pre-owned. ;)
He makes a good living...a very good living.
?

Our elder son wanted to be a pilot. He gained his pilot's licence, did a couple of add-ons, then was preparing an application for a career development loan when he was in a car crash as a passenger resulting in bad whiplash. So the application was put on hold till he recovered, but this happened in the first week of September 2001 and we all know what happened on the 11th. The bottom fell out of the pilot market as a result of 9/11 so there was no point continuing with his plans at that point. He couldn't afford more air time on his own so his licence lapsed.
He took me flying a few times. On one occasion, I was tasked with taking photos of a small airport (try doing that now!) for someone making flight sim games.

One thing I did when I had time off, which when driving HGV's wasn't often, I used to spend a few weekends at Duxford

Got to know the very lovely Ted White. Those of you who have a love of WW2 aircraft will know him as the owner and founder of the B17, Sally B Preservation company who sadly passed away in 1982 whilst flying his T6 Texan in Malta. The yellow/black checkerboard cowl on one of Sally's engines is a permanent tribute to Ted and his friend and copilot Mark Campbell. Sally B is still the last flying B17 in Europe.

As a result of knowing Ted and his crew, I was very priviledged to fly aboard Sally B more than once and was able to assist in the restoration of B25 Big Bad Bonnie which was based at Cranfield. She was owned by Jeff Hawke at the time. She featured in the flying sequences of many films, her best was the 1978 film Hanover Street. I also flew with her as part of the crew, my job was the ground start (being tall, I was the only one who could reach reasonably easily). She was a very tempermental lady, often on start up she would cough oil and flames or flatly refuse to start...more than once I ended up covered in oil and gravel from her misfiring starts. Sadly due to financial difficulties and mechanical gremlins she was grounded in France after a short airshow career. She has made it back to the US, although unsure what her future is. I did manage to find her full history some years ago but it stops at 2014, she may have been broken up, not sure. She was a nice old girl, if more than a bit cantankerous at times

I fly remote controlled helicopters this is 1 of 3
20211006_203158.jpg

My father saw more than enough Lancasters during his life - he was a navigator on Lancs during WW2.

@wasmewasntit - you'd get on with my son ;). He may not have a licence any more but he is still interested in aviation

There is nothing better than the smell of AVGAS and Jet A1 in the morning.......or being coated in warm oil from the exhausts of a B25 when she has a coughing fit whilst you're still holding the ground unit plug a few feet behind the prop and about to unplug it.... ;)

One thing I did when I had time off, which when driving HGV's wasn't often, I used to spend a few weekends at Duxford

Got to know the very lovely Ted White. Those of you who have a love of WW2 aircraft will know him as the owner and founder of the B17, Sally B Preservation company who sadly passed away in 1982 whilst flying his T6 Texan in Malta. The yellow/black checkerboard cowl on one of Sally's engines is a permanent tribute to Ted and his friend and copilot Mark Campbell. Sally B is still the last flying B17 in Europe.

As a result of knowing Ted and his crew, I was very priviledged to fly aboard Sally B more than once and was able to assist in the restoration of B25 Big Bad Bonnie which was based at Cranfield. She was owned by Jeff Hawke at the time. She featured in the flying sequences of many films, her best was the 1978 film Hanover Street. I also flew with her as part of the crew, my job was the ground start (being tall, I was the only one who could reach reasonably easily). She was a very tempermental lady, often on start up she would cough oil and flames or flatly refuse to start...more than once I ended up covered in oil and gravel from her misfiring starts. Sadly due to financial difficulties and mechanical gremlins she was grounded in France after a short airshow career. She has made it back to the US, although unsure what her future is. I did manage to find her full history some years ago but it stops at 2014, she may have been broken up, not sure. She was a nice old girl, if more than a bit cantankerous at times

Wow...thanks for sharing...beyond fascinating, for me anyway...and thank you for the links

Wow...thanks for sharing...beyond fascinating, for me anyway...and thank you for the links
A visit to Duxford, especially on a show day, is a highly enjoyable time for those of us with a love of older aircraft

And since Duxford was a former US WW2 airbase, close by there is one of the most beautiful War Cemetaries you can see. It is a stunning place to visit and just sit and think about all those who fought but never returned

A visit to Duxford, especially on a show day, is a highly enjoyable time for those of us with a love of older aircraft

And since Duxford was a former US WW2 airbase, close by there is one of the most beautiful War Cemetaries you can see. It is a stunning place to visit and just sit and think about all those who fought but never returned

I'm not going to get much work done today, I can see...I'll be spending all day on these websites ;)

Most reactions

Back