The Strangest Thing Ever......

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
So........ something weird happened today. Last night I killed a few ants when I went to bed, didn't really think anything of it. But I woke up this morning to a line of them all filing into my 2.5gal terrarium. Ummm..... so yeah...... apparently my parents sprayed outside and the ants came inside and managed to find my tank, which was conveniently a foot away from the hole they came in through. It also had a conveniently placed hole in the lid.

......so they are in there now. And they are digging a home. I've sealed the tank up, so they can't get out. I've been told they are pharoh ants, those really tiny ones that always come into your house. On another forum someone suggested I put a cup of dry ice in the tank and gas them with the CO2. IDK were I would get dry ice? I have pressurized co2 though......

I'm not terribly sure what to do..... some are busy digging and they is a group of them on the wood......IDK what they are doing.

Any ideas/ suggestions?

Seems to be pretty common this time of year as we've had them before and are having the same issue this year again although there have never been enough to really see where they are coming from. They are usually after water more so that sweets or food. Other than spraying, I don't know of any other way to get rid of them completely. Even if you kill the ones in your terrarium, they will still come back if you don't kill the colony. You could try one of the ant bait traps in the terrarium but I don't know if you have anything else in there that would be harmed by those.

An environmentally/pet friendly way of deterring ants (we get them every year in our kitchen) is to put talcum powder where they come in. They hate walking through it. It doesn't solve the problem (i.e. doesn't kill the ants) , it just helps to keep them away from certain areas and talcum powder is inexpensive and harmless. Now that we don't have any dogs I spray insect killer but I wouldn't use any chemicals while I had dogs and I wouldn't spray anything in the room where my fish tank is. HTH. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back