The Story Of My Marbled Crayfish :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Great pictures, and a very pretty cray and in a way I am jelouse that I can't have them in Australia, but then I am slowly gaining a pretty good native shrimp collection and one of these days I will try keeping Blue marion.

Great pictures, and a very pretty cray and in a way I am jelouse that I can't have them in Australia, but then I am slowly gaining a pretty good native shrimp collection and one of these days I will try keeping Blue marion.
sad, for you, but essential for your bio diversity.
you will never see a Marble over there.

seriousley man.
in Oz you have the most vibrant crayfish selection.
none of which are plague carriers like the Marble or Red Signal.
there are a dozen, at least.
all of which are a joy to own.
and in such veriaty of colour and form, its amazing.
http://www.aabio.com.au/crayfish-list/

Yeah I know that we have some amazing crustaceans but alas quite a few of them are strictly no take and highly protected. Even the Spiny Crayfish is so ugly its beautiful, and the Tasmanian variety can grow to 40cm and 3.5kg
w00t.gif
now thats a crayfish. We also have dwarf crays/ yabbies and quite a few shrimp (and probably crabs and yabbies etc) that are yet to be formally identified.

Yeah I know that we have some amazing crustaceans but alas quite a few of them are strictly no take and highly protected. Even the Spiny Crayfish is so ugly its beautiful, and the Tasmanian variety can grow to 40cm and 3.5kg
w00t.gif
now thats a crayfish. We also have dwarf crays/ yabbies and quite a few shrimp (and probably crabs and yabbies etc) that are yet to be formally identified.
i have seen pics of the Tasmanian crayfish!!! they are huge! like freshwater lobsters
thumbs-up.gif

sad, for you, but essential for your bio diversity.
you will never see a Marble over there.

seriousley man.
in Oz you have the most vibrant crayfish selection.
none of which are plague carriers like the Marble or Red Signal.
there are a dozen, at least.
all of which are a joy to own.
and in such veriaty of colour and form, its amazing.
http://www.aabio.com.au/crayfish-list/
that site has some cool looking crays.
Cherax-robustus-2631-a-2010-01-20-017a-300x225.jpg
my favorite!

I think my favourites would have to be

Robert's Crayfish Euastacus robertsi

The Lamington Crayfish Euastacus sulcatus

The Yarra Spiny Crayfish Euastacus yarraensis

Cherax dispar

Cherax preissii

The Sydney Crayfish Euastacus australasiensis

But like I said so many of these are strictly no take and heavily protected. The Lamington Crayfish from Lamington National Park is one I know is defiantly on the protected species list. But its always nice to dream

but would you be happy to see all these gone?

because if it were not for Oz law, thats what would happen.

whilst its a pain to have some "illegal". at least you have some left.
the UK is virtually devoid of its "native" WhiteClaw.
all because of greedy keepers and their North American Plague carriers.

you cant even eat Marbles, as they taste vile.
so they have no saving facets.

update pics!!

DSCN2861.jpg

DSCN2852.jpg

and a before and after, same feeding station- bigger crays!!!
before:
DSCN2700.jpg

after:
DSCN2860.jpg

i do have one "runt" that has not molted yet. she is about half the size of the other and has lost 5 legs and both claws (leaving her with 3 legs) i have separated her and hope she will grow :)

I am well aware the potential damage that a single marbled crayfish could do to Australias eco systems, just as I have seen first had the damage done by other creatures that where both deliberately released (sometimes even because of governament policies - cane toads, even many species of European song birds) and accidentially released.
But I can still appreciate that the marbled cray is pretty and interesting in that it can breed asexually, and for those reasons I can understand why people would want to keep them as pets.

i keep marbleds because they are unique and cool, not to eat

http://www.crustahun...com/en/node/466

http://www.buglife.o...arbled crayfish

http://www.wildabout...n-invasion.html

oh yeah, really cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well if you dont like them, then stop posting on my thread. this thread is to show the growth and development of my babies. people post about their fry so i want to post about my baby crayfish. not everyone will love marbleds...but i do and i will continue to post about them.
it is likely that the Marbled crayfish is a vector of the crayfish plague – a fungal infection to which our native crayfish species is highly susceptible – although this has not been confirmed.
and the crayfish plague is for other crayfish... my marbles live alone... i am not going to release my crays in a pond...

But I can still appreciate that the marbled cray is pretty and interesting in that it can breed asexually, and for those reasons I can understand why people would want to keep them as pets.
thank you for understanding my point of view
thumbs-up.gif

update: mamma cray laid a new batch of eggs today! there seems to be more than last time
winner.gif

Looks like you will soon have crays galore
laugh.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back