The Rotkeil Babies Are Growing Up!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
My Rotkeils are getting very nicely coloured now. Shame they don't like the camera, so hide up once it's out :lol: Makes it very difficult to get an infocus shot which actually captures their true colours. In real life they are stunning, so much better than I thought they'd be, and they are still only youngsters.

Anyway, so I will use this thread to update on their progress. TBH should have done this before.

When I first got them in August. They went into my 50g at first to grow out a little, as they were only about 1.5/2" when I got them. I think I had had them a couple of days at this point.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

These were taken in December. They are not very clear pics, they came out quite dark. However the red neck/shoulder is starting to emerge here, and the blue face more pronounced. As well as a very colourful dorsal fin.

5309631312_36022473ba.jpg

5307838626_5c097fcec2.jpg

Here are the most recent shots, taken last night. As you can see the red neck/shoulder is growing stronger now, as well as the blue face and finnage. The fish have a gorgeous greeny blue sheen to their body, which is captured by the below slightly blurry pic, but it shows their colours better.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

I will add more photos as they grow :) Hope you like the photos. I hope Star4 is still on here so she can see how well her babies are doing :good:

Ohh, stunning. Great progress photos.

They're bobby dazzlers aren't they? :hey:

Great fish! I love how the coloration, on the lower fins, started a yellow and has slowly gone to red! :good:

The biggest is almost as big as my Green, so around 4", and the others are about 3/3.5" :)

Looking good. Obviously same batch of fry as my lot, although you got yours when they were younger so have slightly better shape than mine. Two of my 3 have quite a sloped back looking a little deformed. Nothing sinister i don't think. Yours have coloured up well, great to see. Mine are colouring up quite well also :)

Lesley, when were they born? (approx)

And when where they born ? Just interested. They've clearly been fed very well in that time.

I'm not too sure actually. I don't really know if any of mine were from Star's first batch of fry, or the 2nd or 3rd. The first batch were 'born' March time I think. I didn't get mine until August, as they had to grow a little to be big enough to send :) They have very good appetites, though show me a cichlid who hasn't :lol:

Looking good. Obviously same batch of fry as my lot, although you got yours when they were younger so have slightly better shape than mine. Two of my 3 have quite a sloped back looking a little deformed. Nothing sinister i don't think. Yours have coloured up well, great to see. Mine are colouring up quite well also :)

Lesley, when were they born? (approx)

Maybe yours were from a different batch? When did you get yours and how big were they? I got mine at the same time as Kaivalagi got his.

End of November i think i got mine. They were perhasp 2-3 inches tip to tail then.

End of November i think i got mine. They were perhasp 2-3 inches tip to tail then.

Hmm, don't understand it. Mine are between 3-4" now, so must have been from an earlier batch. Do you have any recent pics of yours? :)

No i don't, although next time i can i shall try and get some pics up :) Probably next week as i doubt i can get a camera over to my girlfriends to try. You definately had yours before me, however i could quite as easily ended up with 2 from the first batch and one from a more recent batch as i believe she kepts them all in the same tank. We shall have to see, but will certainly get some pics of mine up.

Keep the updates coming Chilli :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back