The Nitrate Debate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

very interesting Mr Shiny, that's far higher than mine and your fish are doing fine. Maybe you have a point that I'm worrying too much. I am after all a born worrier and I've never been very confident either - anyone who's known me a long time will know that!

I think the thing for me is things are changing all the time and I struggle to keep up with changing advice. I want the very best for my fish and I worry too that I'm giving out bad advice.

I'm still going to attempt to lower my Nitrate once this bacteria treatment is done but if it won't come down with water changes then I'm going to stop worrying so much about it. I'll have a look into floating plants and see if I can find any in my area

thanks guys :D

If my nitrates start to stray to the 80 range, I get occasional flashing in my barbs. It doesn't affect their behavior otherwise, but they must find it unpleasant. Having said this, I was definitely feeding too heavily, and now my nitrates never get close to that.

yes, I have wondered about my own feeding routine. It is difficult for me as I have so many different fish who all want something different to eat! I've always fed twice a day and I have no intention of changing that no matter what anyone says. It's my routine and that's that. But, I do find it hard to strike the balance between making sure they all eat and over feeding.

Currently my angels, curviceps, tetra's and harleys get tetra prima or new era flake - they're not keen on the flake but it needs using up and so I'm alternating it. My cories get a good sized pinch of new era catfish pellets and I add half a new era plec pellet for my BN and SAE's to fight over. The cories usually end up having a nibble of that too though

I got forced into doing a large water change this afternoon when one of my filters started to fail. I decided to do 5 extra buckets on my normal routine and so I've changed roughly 100 litres of water. I've no idea what my Nitrates are now as the light had faded too much by the time I was done to check it but I'll do a full test in the morning and let you all know if I've got things lowered.

One thing I can say is this - my fish think it's play time right now! The cories are going nuts, the tetra's are even joining in the play. The only fish sulking is my male angel but I think that's more to do with the female hen pecking him. I think he's having the fish equivilent of "gone to the shed" lol

well if they're happily swimming  about the tank paremeters must be fine..   I can always tell when there is anything with the parameters in my 29 gallon tank by watching the rummynose nose color.   It it's red, all is fine.  If it's not bright red,  something may be off on the parameters and I'll first check the nitrates and if high I will check the other parameters.   Sometimes when I get high nitrates, it's caused by a dead fish.   

Akasha72 said:
I got forced into doing a large water change this afternoon when one of my filters started to fail. I decided to do 5 extra buckets on my normal routine and so I've changed roughly 100 litres of water. I've no idea what my Nitrates are now as the light had faded too much by the time I was done to check it but I'll do a full test in the morning and let you all know if I've got things lowered.

One thing I can say is this - my fish think it's play time right now! The cories are going nuts, the tetra's are even joining in the play. The only fish sulking is my male angel but I think that's more to do with the female hen pecking him. I think he's having the fish equivilent of "gone to the shed" lol

Ah, water changes...the more water changed the better, as you have clearly seen here in the fishes' response.  I do at least 50% but probably closer to 60-65% weekly (at one time, not spread out, as the one time is much more beneficial).  You may want to look into a "Python" type changer to make this easier for you.

I cleaned the Rena on my largest tank yesterday, and as seems to happen every time lately, retrieved a cory fry from the bottom of the canister, just one this time.  Looks like a panda.

I keep looking Byron but never found any babies in my canister. Perhaps it's just the way my filters are made. I hope the little baby thrives for you.

I'm just checking my nitrates but the test takes 10 minutes to complete

I am planning a python and I've got the details of making a diy one. I've been wanting to sort this for the whole of last year but bills kept getting in the way of affording all the bits to make it. My other problem is that my kitchen has two seperate taps and the taps are very old and of the thin design. Getting anything to stay on them is difficult so even if I make the python it may not work

I'll post up the nitrate test result when the timer goes off :)

the test is complete and my Nitrates havn't moved. Still at 40ppm. There's either something wrong with the test or something wrong with my tap water!

Akasha72 said:
the test is complete and my Nitrates havn't moved. Still at 40ppm. There's either something wrong with the test or something wrong with my tap water!
Test your tap water.

I have, it's about zero. I honestly think Nitrate tests are flawed and I don't think there's a single one on the market that's accurate

Akasha72 said:
I have, it's about zero. I honestly think Nitrate tests are flawed and I don't think there's a single one on the market that's accurate

Most definitely true.

I'm just going to stop letting it bother me. I can tell when my fish are suffering and if they're unhappy they'll let me know

Fishmanic said:
well if they're happily swimming  about the tank paremeters must be fine..   I can always tell when there is anything with the parameters in my 29 gallon tank by watching the rummynose nose color.   It it's red, all is fine.  If it's not bright red,  something may be off on the parameters and I'll first check the nitrates and if high I will check the other parameters.   Sometimes when I get high nitrates, it's caused by a dead fish.   

Interesting. I have 52 RNT's and they all have red noses bright enough to indicate perhaps they drink too much! :)

ShinySideUp said:

Interesting. I have 52 RNT's and they all have red noses bright enough to indicate perhaps they drink too much!
smile.png

lol!! 
rofl.gif

had a trip to maidenhead aquatics today and had a look at this frogbit plant. They had a tank with it in and I liked the fact it had dimmed the light and made the tank have a blackwater effect but I didn't like the fact it had taken over completely in the tank. It's not for me.

I got chatting with the guy I usually get chatting with about my nitrates and he showed me a product that JBL have created. He's actually used it and it does work but I'm going to focus on larger water changes to begin with to see if I can get it to shift that way instead. This JBL product is nearly £30 ... water changes are far cheaper lol

This is the product in case anyone is interested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-BioNitratEX-240g/dp/B002X67DKE

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back