The magic of snails

Zak Ursulo

Reaction score
I have snails! :D Tis the second coming! im sure of it

1. I havent added ONE fish or ONE plant in 6 months to my tank.. NOT ONE!

2. I have tested our water and the Clorine content is so high that you cant breath around the faucet when you turn it on. Its almost lethal to humans unless you let it sit for a few hours.

3. The tank is 20 feet from ANY door to the outside where snails live.

4. I recently had to medicate the tank for fungus and ich. ( I used a medication that is LEATHAL to snails!)

I REALY pay attention to the tanks flora and fauna (dont like suprises)

So.. I was just vacuming the tank today and guess what! I found (can you guess?) Your right! snails! :D little spiral shelled ones! they are so cute! and there are so many! how can i hate these little suckers! :cool: :wub: They are crawling over the bottom trying to get back under gravel fearing that I might take a dislike to them (how could they!) I have been watching them crawl over the gravel like little bulldozers they are so cuuuuuute.... :< Lucky for me im heartless when it comes to Interlopers!... muhahhaha.... um.. unless that is that they truely are a miracle.. but then i suppose that they will be imune to my attempts at tank policing. I think I will start by puting the lethal medication right next to the tank so that they can read it... maybe like SanFransico puting up signs they will pack up and move on to another tanks.. you think that will work? :kira:

Hi Zak Ursalo :)

You are truly blessed.........................not! :no:

I think the little snails are cute, too. Or at least I did until they over ran one of my fry tanks. :eek:

This tank had newly hatched corys and there were--very suddenly--just too many tiny snails to be able to pick them all out. By the time the fry were able to be moved and the tank cleaned, the bottom was constantly moving. It was kind of creepy, actually. :sick:

The only thing I was able to do, at that point, was break the aquarium down, scrub the tank out with salt and then clorox it. I had to boil the gravel to get the snails out of it. :look:

This experience changed my mind about those cute little snails.

I hope the little things don't get into my tank *prays* :D

those "cute little things" will quickly overrun your tank - keep them under control - a few are nice but 100's not so nice :(

Buy a couple puffers, I cant keep snails in my tank. I get them by the dozen at the LFS in hopes that they breed, but with few days they are all gone. The snails ARE cute, but the puffers are CUTER.

I found a mystery snail in my tank today, and I'm still only cycling the thing! Where did it come from? I guess they aren't called Mystery snails for nothing! :huh:

I took him right out. I'll be damned if the first inhabitants of my big cichlid set-up is gonna be snails!

IMHO, Mystery snails and Ramshorn snails are a different matter. I think they're cool. When I had goldfish, they lived with them because the tank didn't have any permanant plants so they couldn't cause any damage. Now my big guys live with the frogs and they are still a lot of fun to watch. :D

But it's those little tiny pond snails............. :crazy: :hyper: :sick:

I added snails to my tanks, I added ramshorn, malaysian trumpet, and my beloved applesnails. I however got some pondsnails somewhere along the way and most likely with my plants.... but no worries here! I just toss in a couple of baby carrots when I see my tanks getting overrun by the little buggars and wait for them to cover the carrots.... then I take out the carrots and open the top to my oscar tank. :hey: and scrape off all the little unwanted snails into the water and place the carrots back into the snailie tank for another round. And my oscars go nuts for these little treats! They will go for days with out touching a fish but cannot resist one of those little hard shelled filled delights :kira:

Most reactions

Back