The koi will be fostered...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Koda

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok...I bought the koi on impulse,not being aware that they are pond fish.But he will become a foster fish in a relative's pond as of this weekend.Now what I need to know is whether there are other coldwater fish that might be suited to a large aquarium.I have a calico fantail and think they are beautiful.So I'd be interested in setting up a larger tank to house a few fish of that sort.Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome.No more impulse fishing for me :*)

Thanks...

Koda

PS...I know I am hooked because already I am looking at the couch in my LR and thinking about how much valuable tank space it takes up :D

Koda

Orandas, Black Moors, Ryukins though these resemble Fantails closely, Lionheads. That covers Goldfish I can think of.

Other Coldwater fish not Goldfish would be Carp, Minnows, Catfish and a whole slew of native fish though some might grow too large for the aquarium. Too many to think of or name.

Here is a list of some out of the ordinary fish that you may like to try?

Golden Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus)
Golden Minnows (Phoxinus phoxinus)-Fast well oxygenated water needed.
Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)
Three-Spined Stickleback (Gasteroseus aculeatus)
Ten-Spined Sitckleback (Pungitius pungitius)
Rosyred Minnow (Pimephales promelas) (Licence)
Rainbow Dace (Cyprinella lutrensis)
Common Minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus)-Fast well oxygenated water needed.
Sunfish (A Lepomis species)
Goldfish (Carassius auratus)
Comets (Carassius auratus)
Wheather Loaches (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)........

Teelie said:
Orandas, Black Moors, Ryukins though these resemble Fantails closely, Lionheads. That covers Goldfish I can think of.

Other Coldwater fish not Goldfish would be Carp, Minnows, Catfish and a whole slew of native fish though some might grow too large for the aquarium. Too many to think of or name.
Thanks...I was down today looking and asking questions.The orandas and moors look like nice choices.They also have some really nice tank/stand combos.They are heavy duty wood furniture and come in an assortment of sizes.I'm thinking if I sell my couch I'll have more money and space for fish.Not really using my kitchen table either :D

Koda

Most reactions

Back