The instinct of fish keeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Humans are animals. The number of similarities we have to other mammals is incredible. We get the same types of cancer, we suffer the same health issues with our skeleton and muscles. We even catch the same viruses (and not just covid19). If you spend enough time around animals, you see personalities and characteristics that you see in people.

As for our instincts being different, they change depending on your lifestyle.
My point exactly, animals don't have different lifestyles like humans

Thanks for your response @AbbeysDad - I am curious, why don't they infuse oxygen into the water? I realize that they may not do so to an appreciable extent, but to make a generalized claim that there is no gas exchange seems to be false in my opinion. Here's why I'm challenging this: by virtue of the fact that the air is pumped into the tank, the pressure of the air is larger than the pressure at the bottom of the tank (otherwise the air would never come out of the stone). Thus, the partial pressure of the oxygen inside the bubbles that are being released would be higher than the partial pressure of the oxygen at the surface of the tank (true, partial pressure of CO2 would also be higher, and N2, and any other gas for that matter). As long as the partial pressure of the oxygen inside the water of the tank was lower, thus establishing a gradient for dissolution of oxygen into the water, there is no reason gas exchange would not happen.

Now, on the other hand, if the argument you are making is that it is more efficient to aerate water via surface disruption as opposed to trying to bubble it in, then that is a different argument, and I could see the validity of that claim simply as a question of surface area. The area of water that can be agitated with a pump (and the turnover of water within the aquarium that it causes as well) intuitively leads to higher air exchange overall. However, to claim that there is no gas exchange whatsoever occurring with an airstone seems to be a false claim.
Given some of those with planted tanks 'inject' co2, and they argue over the most effective diffusers and whether in-line diffusion is better etc etc, tells me that gas exchange does happen between the bubbles and the water. I suppose if the arguement was does an airstone increase o2 levels, then strictly the answer would be no, unless you were injecting pure o2. An airstone would however raise o2 if the air you were injecting had higher o2 than what is in the water.

That applies for animals but we are humans, not the same thing. Our instincts are different.
I merely posted the dictionary definition of instinct. Inasmuch as many humans lack even common sense, I'm uncertain as to how much, if any, instincts we have. Is it instinct that prevents us from jumping off a cliff or putting a hand in fire...or learned behavior?

Given some of those with planted tanks 'inject' co2, and they argue over the most effective diffusers...
That may be comparing apples and oranges as difusers or infusers are somewhat different than a simple stream of air bubbles. It was scientists that educated us that gas exchange happens at the surface when the air bubble breaks the surface, or the surface is otherwise disturbed - not my opinion. 'Nuff said. :)

I merely posted the dictionary definition of instinct. Inasmuch as many humans lack even common sense, I'm uncertain as to how much, if any, instincts we have. Is it instinct that prevents us from jumping off a cliff or putting a hand in fire...or learned behavior?

That may be comparing apples and oranges as difusers or infusers are somewhat different than a simple stream of air bubbles. It was scientists that educated us that gas exchange happens at the surface when the air bubble breaks the surface, or the surface is otherwise disturbed - not my opinion. 'Nuff said. :)
Diffusers are different than airstones because they produce a smaller sized air bubble and so increased surface area. Either way, the bubbles pass co2 into the water.

My instinct tells me, if you have a bubble traveling through water there has to be some exchange between the two.

It's same way with any complex system. I work in IT and my computer troubleshooting style is very unorthodox. While I see some techs troubleshooting step by step, I can often just tell them what the issue is, based on a simple glance at the situation - often without even seeing the computer in person. A simple comment from a user can tell me what's wrong. "I can't reach outside web pages but my computer seems to be super busy on the network" - "Replace your network card. It's broke & screaming (broadcasting) continuously on the network". It comes from years of experience.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back