the history of the Betta Splenden

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nightlife20

Gettin back into it all after 4 yrs off
Reaction score
Betta Splenden also referred to, as Siamese fighting fish, is native to Southeast Asia. Bettas natural habitat includes flooded rice field, stagnant ponds, ditches, and slow flowing streams. In the wild bettas are inherently territorial and would protect its territory from other bettas. Intrigued by the betta’s instinctive aggression towards the male of its own species, the Siamese through the centuries used these bettas in fighting contests. The Siamese begin to domesticate the wild bettas at around the year 1850 in which bettas are selectively bred primarily for their fighting abilities rather for their color and finnage. The Siamese call them plakat, which means biting fish. Since the domestication of bettas, fish fighting has always been a popular pastime in Thailand. Fish fighting today continues to be a popular pastime in Thailand, as well as in many country of Asia.

As popular as betta hobby was in Asia, it did not spread to the West until 1874 when bettas were first introduced in France. By 1910 bettas were wide spread throughout Europe and consequently to America. The years following the introduction of bettas to the West, we begin to see emphasis place on selectively breeding bettas for their beauty, color, and finnage rather than their fighting ability.

The bettas we see today are very distinct from the dulled color short fins bettas found in the wild. The vibrant color and long flowing fins bettas of today are results of over a centuries of selective breeding by betta breeders and hobbyists in Asia and throughout the world. Today organizations such as such as IBC are established to promote betta-keeping as a hobby. With organizations like these, contribute from its member’s world wide, and a wealth of resource available over the Web, we are certain to see more beautiful strains of fancy bettas develop in the future.

so now u know if u didnt already

Dawn xx :wub:

Very interesting!
That was a whole bunch of typing huh? :lol:

Another interesting note is that Betta Splenden means "Beautiful Warrior" :wub: ,here's where it gets crazy for me and my betta obsession, I never noticed it until about a month ago ... my name is Kelly which means "Warrior Woman"....I never understood why my name had such a weird meaning but now it all makes sense to me :lol: :kira:

Most reactions

Back