The Greatest Solution For Under Tank Mat/polystyrene

dgwebster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Thought I would share the most simple and cheap and great solution for a mat under your tanks:

Check out your local poundland style stores: one of my locals is selling camping mats at that good ole £1: easy to cut to size, cheap and really really effective.

That's me too: pre purchasing in advance seeing as these stores tend to be seasonal and may not keep large stocks either! But I'm planning on changing my 4' to black sand at the end of the summer so got some mats in stock now :D

The reasons I've seen are primarily claimed as:

1) Resolves any minor imperections in the supporting object
2) They absorbed some of any shocks that otherwise transmit through the stand to the glass ( I guess if you combined this with 1) you have a risk of a crack appearing
3) Super for helping to level. From the left to the right of my tank there is a 1" difference. A block of foam however can be built up/shaved down to even this leveling out

Yep, mainly it ensures even weight distribution, especially if you also have rocks, wood etc, in your tank, it releaves stress on the bottom pain, and also the corners (where the greatest force is directed).

Do all tanks need this? Think I'm correct in saying that my Roma tank specifically states not to put anything underneath as the tank has a plastic surround at the bottom and top.

There are two common types of tank construction.
One has a piece of trim around the bottom of the tank that raises the actual tank bottom a fraction of an inch above the stand. A pad or mat is a terrible idea for one of those tanks, it removes the small gap that the raised bottom provided and makes the tank more vulnerable to local pressure points.
The other construction style has the bottom glass sitting directly on the stand. For one of those, the pad or mat helps smooth out any stand imperfections and makes it safer for the bottom glass.
Tank construction determines whether or not a pad or mat is a good idea.

Most reactions

Back