The Grand Plan!

davidblackson

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok now this is the grand plan for my 5ft. (5ft of pleasure )
2x green terror ( there a pair male and female )
2x oscars
10x tiger barbs
5x clown loach
2x commen pleco

is this going to work? will the green terrors destroy everything? is that enough room, its 500 liters. if not any advice on the stock list

also for aquascape me and my girlfriend are goin to rent a boat and go up and down the local river searching the rest from a garden centre dose this all sound ok to everyone. how about some feed back thanks heaps !!
 
Oscars and terrors may or not get on. Most likely not, your also pushing it on space, 4 10" plus big bodied fish is alot, filtration would also have to be questioned.

Tiger barbs will be eaten.

Clown loach will be fine.

Plecs won't get eaten but will add a huge bio load to your tank putting strain on your filtration (??) Maybe go with a single more interesting species of 'plec' which doesn't grow so big.

Rocks from the wild are fine just boil or bake them first. Rocks from a garden center would be better though and there dirt cheap anyways.
 
ok alter that how about
1x green terror
1x oscar
2x common pleco


but i would really like a larger but not huge schooling fish you not what i mean any one have suggestions
 
also dose anybody know i invertabrate that would suit a crab or a crayfish of some kind
 
a crab would need land to walk on.. which means you have less water as you'd need to slope it so it could get on/off which could take up half the tank..
 
i have a 6ft tank (500L) it is home to 4 large catfish (featherfin, pic something, hopolo and another one noone can ID) 2 x oscars and i have also a large australian red clawed crayfish in there.


And they all live very happily together (not at first, i had to do some tank reaaranging and let them find there territories) but now they all live fine together
 
Rocks from the wild are fine just boil or bake them first. Rocks from a garden center would be better though and there dirt cheap anyways.

I wouldn't boil rocks myself, they can explode. Besides they scratch up the cookware.

I used some small gravel from our landscaping, and I swirled it in a bucket then poured off water and added water and swirled again, many times, to get out all the dirt and debris. Then poured boiling water over them to sterilize.
 
Rocks from the wild are fine just boil or bake them first. Rocks from a garden center would be better though and there dirt cheap anyways.

I wouldn't boil rocks myself, they can explode. Besides they scratch up the cookware.

I used some small gravel from our landscaping, and I swirled it in a bucket then poured off water and added water and swirled again, many times, to get out all the dirt and debris. Then poured boiling water over them to sterilize.
Um, exploding rocks?

I wouldn't keep a crayfish with an oscar... one day, the cray will be gone!

If it were my tank, I would go with this stocking:
1 x oscar
6 x silver dollars
1 x pleco of some sort or a synodontis group, or basically a catfish of some sort :P

What are your plans for filtration? These are all messy fish, especially the oscar and the pleco.
 
Rocks from the wild are fine just boil or bake them first. Rocks from a garden center would be better though and there dirt cheap anyways.

I wouldn't boil rocks myself, they can explode. Besides they scratch up the cookware.

I used some small gravel from our landscaping, and I swirled it in a bucket then poured off water and added water and swirled again, many times, to get out all the dirt and debris. Then poured boiling water over them to sterilize.

Boiling rocks is not going to make them explode :blink:
 
Sorry, davidb, didn't mean to take your post on a detour. Just got worried when I saw the boiling rocks bit. :unsure:

Sounds like you really want some oscars, and when they get big they will be an impressive sight in that big tank. But I don't know what can live with them. Again, sorry, carry on.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top