The Eritrean Prisoners

MBOU

Recovering LFS Worker
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I want to apologise now for not making much sense and babbling but we are all very tired, very upset and very anxious.

As very few people know (it only appeared in the newspapers for the first time yesterday), there are 4 men being held prisoner in the country of Eritrea on the charges of Espionage and Terrorism. A country well known for ..and i quote... "Torture, cruel and degrading treatment, and forced labor are routine for conscripts as well as detainees. Detention conditions are appalling, with detainees typically held in overcrowded cells - sometimes underground - or in shipping containers that reach searing temperatures by day and are freezing at night."

The circumstances are HUGELY confusing, but the prisoners have been accused of crimes they havent commited and were then ditched in Eritrea by their employer.

These men were working for a company called PVI (Protection Vessels International) acting as protection for a larger ship from the (very real!) threat of piracy.

In now turns out there is a possibility that PVI were involved in a scandle involving espionage, but this wasnt the people now standing accused!

-------

I am creating this post because one of the men being held prisoner is my uncle, Chris Collision. For the last 6 months we have been on tenterhooks, praying for answers (though PVI were instructing us to keep quiet and not go to the press as it might anger the Eritreans, it turns out they were just trying to keep their name out of the press!).

But things are looking worse and worse, our Government having failed to achieve anything in the last 6 months but to anger the Eritrean Governement and then apologise to them again.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_230800260279483&ap=1

Here also is a quote from my cousin, Sam Collison (one of the prisoners daughters).

My dad Chris Collison has now been detained in Eritrea for nearly six months and we want him home!

He went missing after he was taken into custody in the Eritrean port of Massawa on the 24th December. The company he was working for was refueling their vessel and according to the story there was some confusion with payment of the fuel. All access to Chris and the three other men detained alongside him has been denied.

Chris is a warm genuine person who seems to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. We don't know the full story of the events leading up to their detainment but we know that Chris is one of the good guys! We haven't had any contact with him since December and everyone is getting very concerned.

Chris is an upstanding member of society who competes for his country and has won several medals for Great Britain as a Dragon Boater. He enjoys keeping healthy through various sports- dragon boating, rafting and canoeing. He is a family man who loves spending time with friends and family and having fun.

We don't know where he is and what state health wise any of the men are in, we want to get them all home safely.

I am also going to link the two press releases recently made.

Please remember, this is the English translation of what the Eritrean President is telling his people. He has already been shown a lot of times to have particularly cruel views. It is him personally who has refused any contact between the prisoners and any advisors.

This means a lot of what these people say is just NOT true. However, while we know Chris is innocent, we cant say the same of PVI, we dont know that they werent using the ex military men to spy! Which is why we believe that the head of PVI should be the one to face the questions in Eritrea, they have caused these problems and then ran for cover!

Recent Press release slating my uncle and bigging up PVI.

http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/5925-press-release

First artical quoting the Eritrean Presidents opinion (who is described by UN ministers as a "lunatic")

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/plea-to-free-captured-britons-dismissed-by-eritreas-president-2277679.html

Please join us on facebook to lend your support, you are all kind and caring people and can appreciate what we are all going through, let alone the prisoners and that all we want is our family members home safe and as well as can be possible.

*merged into first post*

And now I would like to share with you some photos and a few quotes from the facebook pages from close family, to give you an idea of what my uncle is like as a person. You can judge for yourself. He doesnt deserve to be imprisoned in a country made famous for its appalling human rights (as leaked recently in the Wikileaks scandal). Torture being particularly noteable along with appaling conditions, prisoners often kept in cellars or shipping containers in extremely high heat.

Chris
chris2.jpg

From left to right (the sibling minus my uncle Richard who has passed away)...

Michelle, Anne (my mum), Mike, Chris (in Eritrea) and Tricia.
chris.jpg

Quote 1:

Chris is my brother and I hope and pray that the Eritrean authorities take a lenient view on any laws he has broken. My brother is a family man, a husband, father, businessman, sportsman and all round good guy. He has set up and run several businesses in the agricultural and leisure industry. Chris has represented his country in Dragon boating winning two silver medals; he has also coached the national team.
Chris has also trained many teams for charity events and enjoyed taking part in them as well, often being the first to arrive and the last to leave. If you needed a boat taking to the lake or repairing once there, Chris would be the one to turn to.
I have enjoyed several family holidays with Chris and his family, both in the UK and France. He helped me set up my business and even installed our central heating system. My youngest two children aged 4 and 7 call him “Uncle noise” as he never knew when to stop working, and would continue to make lots of noise until very late at night!
Chris and his family were supposed to visit us at Christmas, and we were all shocked to find he had been detained. From the information we have, he appears to have been very foolish, while in typical “Chris” fashion, trying to do his best for the people employing him.
Chris left school at 16 and started work as an agricultural apprentice, he has been in constant work ever since and at no time has he ever been in any of the armed forces, or worked for the government. I believe he has tried to do his best for the company who employed him, without thinking about how laws change in different countries.
The brother I know and love would never knowingly take part in any activities to destabilise any country, and I believe all his activities whilst in Eritrea, would have been to get supplies and equipment for the boats, so that they could continue on their journey. I do not believe he would knowingly have taken part in any type wrongdoing against the government of Eritrea and hope that the Eritrean government will place any blame where it belongs – on Protection Vessels International, the company who employed him.
I urge all those who know and love Chris to add comments about the man he is, so that the Eritrean authorities can see him for what he is – a family man, sportsman, all round good guy, my brother.

Chris is a leader of men, he has the drive and tenacity to make good things happen and works tirelessly for his family and friends. Chris is someone we look to when we need to be guided as he finds a way to get to where we need to be with a smile, fairness and good grace.
Allowing Chris to be returned to his family allows everyone to feel good about themselves and help turn the bitter tears to tears of joy.

Chris is my middle big brother and I'm so sad he is in this situation. all our thoughts and prayers are with him. He would never want to cause any harm to anybody. He has worked hard all his life has played hard at dragon boating, rafting, canoeing ect.. not just for his own pleasure but for his country.
He has a wonderful sense of humour (him in doors always knows when I'm on the phone to him because we have really crazy fun conversations) but if you need someone to help you out his your man. I hope this whole mess gets sorted out and we soon see the fantastic family man we all know and love, please!

heartbreakingly... from Chris' dad....

MY SON CHRISTOPHER ALAN COLLISON. Chris was born at the farm where I was working in Suffolk, England in 1958, as did his two brothers and three sisters, he worked on a farm during holidays from the age of eleven years. Chris’s academic achievements were average but he enjoyed practical mechanics far more, consequently he spent a lot of his life working on farm machinery, latterly having a share in his own farm machinery business. Lately he has another business. Chris followed in his older brother’s footsteps and he first ran the London Marathon and then he and his wife Sally have been representing England in the over 40s International Dragon Boat Racing and also involved in various other sporting events. I miss Chris a lot as he helped me when I was recently ill and has always been there for help if needed. We lost his older brother at the age of forty-seven from a heart attack which caused the decline in Sheila, my wife’s, health. It is probably as well she is no more with us to witness what is happening to her second son. No one is more surprised than me that Chris is involved in this situation. I am sure Chris is very sorry to have mistakenly upset the Government and Peoples of Eritrea, who he has said are a very friendly people, as he has never knowingly upset anyone. I pray that he may come home soon to his family, we all miss him dreadfully. We all believe now that PVI (Protection Vessels Incorporated) have been asking us all to keep a low profile so that they do not become involved. I hope Chris is not made a scapegoat for mistakes made by others. My health is not good otherwise I would be in Eritrea trying to see him. I have lost one son and do not want to lose another. My health is not good otherwise I would be in Eritrea trying to see him.

Oh my word iam so sorry to read about your familys trouble, i wish them all the luck in the world, Thank you for bringing it to our attention... Keep strong and always beleive in good things... My wifes dad was kidnapped back in the 80s...He made it out after 6 months...

Oh gosh Nelly! Thank you for that reply! It means so much not just that you replied which means at least someone cares!! But you have someone who understands too, thats means so much! I just repeated it to my mum and (after another bout of tears) she smiled which means so much... she hasnt smiled like that in 6 months, i think she almost saw hope!

I hope you can understand how much that means!

I certainly can mate, always have hope and never let it slip, I know it will be hard, But hope and prays are all you have.
It does not sound like a good situation, i Cannot beleive the British goverment and the company involved are not doing there best...

I guess its not surprising, both are covering their a$$ets :p

Goverment dont want to upset another country, i mean... they suck enough as it is without the public slating them for hacking off Eritrea.

PVI (the company) just dont want anything to do with them... blame everyone else....

Oh well.. i sure am glad of everyone else's support on this forum. 73 people read that my family and life is falling apart and my uncle may be.... murdered by some foreign government and no one can even offer a hug.

Shame on you all.

I am so sorry for your Uncle, what a terrible thing for your family to go through. I can't imagine how you and family must be feeling. I'm sending positive thoughts to you and your family and I hope your uncle makes it back home safe and sound soon.

*hugs*

Caprichoso

I have just heard this on the news, http://tinyurl.com/3hc5qm9

I hope everything is okay MBOU

'4 suspected spies released from Eritrea'

#41#### news beat me to it!

I got the phone call at work on the shop phone to tell me... prompting a lot of tears and some very shocked customers!

And now at 11:29pm i have just spoken to him, he's not been in the country long. Most of my family has gone out to meet him near the airport and stay with him.

I... dont even know what to say!

In the story it keeps saying how "grateful they are to Quatar" for stepping in, they werent kidding, the real story is hilarious and a proper fingers up to the Eritrean President but i dont think im allowed to repeat everything :p

This is the best news ever, See told you have faith,,, Iam soooooooo happy for you and your family, now you can live your life again!!

There is going to be a wealth of emmotions flowing, but im so happy there going to be good, i just read it when i logged into ebay

:good:

Most reactions

Back