The End Of Mh

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

automotive is not industrial. Also the reason LEDs were introduced into automotive applications was the fact that an automobile is already a DC power source and for a saftey aspect. The latency involved to power an LED to glow time is ten times as fast as a lightbulb. This means when someone depresses the brake pedal, the LED cluster light will glow or come on ten times faster than a normal light bulb. This gives anyone following that much more time to react. This is the main reason LED lamp clusters came into existance and why you see the majority of them in brake light setups. After this came about trailers were the next step as the lamp load on the vehicle was significantly reduced. This meant that lower power flasher units and vehicle wiring could be used with no effect by the trailer. An industrial use of this is in commercial trucking. After the technology was introduced to the trucking industry it started trickling into the comercial market for use in everyday utility trailers.

Now an industrial use for LEDs to overtake MH would mean that LED fixtures would have to be made for industrial lighting applications. Such as in your local supermarket. Ever look at the ceilieng. Most places are powered by MH fixtures. Now imagine all the fixtures in all the warehouses throughout the world. This is where the LED cluster has to take over before MH will become extinct. The main problem with this is the cost. Not only do you have to make the fixtures and the lamp clusters, you also need a power supply. LEDs are only considered efficient because less power is wasted to heat compared to a MH lamp, but what about the power source. The cheap transformer plugs that most DC powered appliances run on are very ineffiecient. Much power is consumed to heat and more is wasted converting to proper voltages. Each LED needs a resistor to limit the current sent through it. That in and of itself is a waste of power.

The technology has that new "Cool" factor, but the reality of the situation is if it is forced into the aquarium market it will be made too cheaply and will not function like it should. It will either remain and be too expensive for the average aquarist or be cheapened to the point that it will not be any good and no one will want it. Look at the nanocubes, great idea, but JBJ cheapened it to the point that the aveerage aquarist would buy it without thining about the cost, only to have it crack down the road. If they would have used thicker glass from the begining, the tanks would have cost more and less consumers would have chosen that option for a tank.

All in all, the main point of my argument is that if the LED cluster doesn't take over in an industrial application - it will never totally replace MH and thus MH will not be gone from the trade.

Me, I wouldn't be a guinea pig with these. Nobody knows how corals, esp SPS, will react to these lights. And they are expensive and not user-serviceable. They claim 10-12yrs life with no drop in PAR, which I wonder about. But only warrant the fixtures 3 years. Hmmm...

Not for me.

But I thought the tanks they were over looked terrible anyway!

£2000 for the 6ft version ain't that bad in price when you think about it.

Assuming 50000 hr led life as stated at 10hrs a day = 13+ years service

Standard arcadia twin 250w mh unit £800
13yrs supply of bulbs changed at recommended yearly intervlas = 12yrs x £110 = £1320
13yrs supply of 2 x 54" actincs at recommended yearly intervlas = 12yrs x £35 = £420

Total cost £2540 + massive electricity savings

= in excess of £3500

Good point Littleimp, though sadly too many people only view the short term cost in this hobby.

If everyone planned for price including the cost of replacement parts, changing equipment and electricity costs, we would all be running Tunze powerheads.

Sadly it is also a fact that the average marine aquarist has a tank running for less than two years before taking it down. How many people on this site alone have had the same tank running for more than 5 years? 10?

I would still like the supplied values of PAR and such to be independantly confirmed. After working in the lighting industry I can tell you all the manufacturers lie on bulb ratings.

Right. Cost of these is astronomical if even one of the LED's fails after the 3-yr warranty.

OR if the corals don't, in fact, grow under them. Or color well under them.

For a product with such a high initial outlay, the benefits need to be obvious and the security in the
investment strong. The cost savings on consumption are clear. But the rest would require a lot of
independent confirmation before many folks are going to start shelling out that kind of change.

As an intersting bump, it seems that LEDs will gradually make their way into industrial settings, already being used for both rear car lights and traffic lights, and the technology has been recognised as award worthy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5328586.stm

It seems that if the US changed over to White LED lights by 2025, then the energy savings would be in the region of 133 nuclear power stations.

in my opinion the sooner something better comes out the better for all of us people with very very limited price limits because as soon as something better comes along the prices of MH will drop meaning the average joes will be able to buy em. but however if most people who buy MH for more dificult corals then the LED's arent really nesecary. after all i doubt that a new evoloution of species will come that have to have better lighting than MH. its like the old VHS to DVD and then will it be BLUE RAY next ? or could it be a flop. things always have potential to flop. but then i spose no matter how brilliant something is at the time it will beceom outdadted. tis inevitable MH will be beaten. by this? well just have to wait and see

it is nice to think that this could/will be the next big change in the fish world, and more the fact that we are around to see it take shape. i do hope this takes off, and i do belive it will. you ony have to go to B&Q(Home Depo type place) now to find the LED units for your house, they don't cost that much as well.

ROB

it is nice to think that this could/will be the next big change in the fish world, and more the fact that we are around to see it take shape. i do hope this takes off, and i do belive it will. you ony have to go to B&Q(Home Depo type place) now to find the LED units for your house, they don't cost that much as well.

ROB

Thats the kicker right there Rob. As industry develops the technology to replace high-bay lighting, that will help drive down the cost of our aquarium fixtures. I can see only good coming from this :D

in my opinion the sooner something better comes out the better for all of us people with very very limited price limits because as soon as something better comes along the prices of MH will drop meaning the average joes will be able to buy em. but however if most people who buy MH for more dificult corals then the LED's arent really nesecary. after all i doubt that a new evoloution of species will come that have to have better lighting than MH. its like the old VHS to DVD and then will it be BLUE RAY next ? or could it be a flop. things always have potential to flop. but then i spose no matter how brilliant something is at the time it will beceom outdadted. tis inevitable MH will be beaten. by this? well just have to wait and see
With MH vs LED it is not so much just what is best, but the way it is done.

LED appears to offer the benefits of MH (great light intensity) with far less drawbacks (less power drawn and less heat from unit).

The big drawback for LED at the moment is the cost of LED fixtures ($7,000 for a 6 foot tank), though a couple of people on Reef Central have made their own DIY arrays and seen some pretty good results.

yer i saw someones pico tank and it was pretty good. but as you said its the technology atm. when LED technology becomes more frequent we shall benefit because of cheaper costs.

Most reactions

trending

Back