The End Of Fish Keeping As We Know It.

just adding a bit more fuel to the fire
fish bags are made from fossil fuels. When the government bans plastic bags, or we run out of oil, will the LFS ask if we want our new fish in paper or plastic :)

Maybe we would have to supply our own containers? Look at the supermarkets - the 5p tax on each plastic bag has prompted many to opt for the 'lifetime' bags. I would assume that a fish shop being basically a supermarket they might begin to do the same? Maybe they'll operate a BYOB (bring your own bag!) policy :D

...Hey, just an idea eh? :P
 
We used to do that years ago. If customers brought in their old fish bags we would give them 5cents of each fish. We stopped doing it because too many customers had holy bags and still wanted 5cents off. (Hey 5cents was a lot of money back then :) ).
I take a couple of fish buckets with me when I go shopping at the LFS. It's so much easier especially if you are dealing with big fish or corals. Simply put them in a bucket with some tank water and that is it. No fin rays puncturing the bags, no water splashing all over the place while you try to do the bag up. Put em in the bucket and pop the lid on. I have a battery operated airpump that runs an airstone in the bucket and the fish do really well.
 
Absolutely correct...

I honestly think the future of our hobby - and a lot of other hobbies, which are really just that, leisure time fillers - will depend on how bad the situation ends up being. It could be anything from a slow decline in the amount of luxury goods including oil-based fuel and products we can afford - to a total economic crash and a second Great Depression. I honestly think it may be closer to the second option, but nobody knows. In the meantime, I certainly won't give up keeping fish just in case.
 
No I don't buy fuel but I don't think it's going to run out soon. Apparently, fuel was meant to run out by now, but new technology has found new fuel.

Maybe the price change is due to different methods of extracting fuel?
 
i hope my statement earlier was right but i'll be the first to admit i could be wrong. if any one has any reliable info i'd like to see it. what ever the situation is i'd like to learn more about it
 
No I don't buy fuel but I don't think it's going to run out soon. Apparently, fuel was meant to run out by now, but new technology has found new fuel.

Maybe the price change is due to different methods of extracting fuel?

Running out isn't the immediate issue, its rate of consumption. The US isn't slowing down, and China is guzzling it like we did back when it was 10 cents a gallon and we drove four states away out of boredom. New technology has not found new fuel, it's made more efficient use of what we have, but the biggest thing keeping the oil flowing is that a lot of smaller countries have been effectively cut off from oil anyway.

Even if/when OPEC opens the taps like they did to break Venezuelan producers, within as little as 30 years, the world will be using it faster than we can produce it (ANWAR will buy the world roughly 3-6 months, the Great Lakes even less if it's of comparable quality to the terrestrial oil already drilled here in Michigan). Movement to alternate fuels or higher efficiency will delay that point, but as long as China goes the route it's going now, it will still probably come.

Anyway, short of an outright depression (which isn't entirely impossible in some countries when that point comes), shipping won't break down entirely. Air travel is the weakest link currently, but water and land travel have viable existing options that could survive a major fuel crisis.
 
so basically when oil goes the world economy is going to crash?


The place where I work is a plastic company. Guess what are main product^^ Petrol pipes/gass/water. There are alternatives instead of petroleum-based plastics but are extremely expensive.

Think in our last meeting they mentioned fructose being very viable replacement in the future.

So don't worry about our fish bags yet!!!!

biger problem is geting the fuel to run the machines. fuel for forklifts and sideloaders then fuel for shipment...
 
so basically when oil goes the world economy is going to crash?

biger problem is geting the fuel to run the machines. fuel for forklifts and sideloaders then fuel for shipment...

Depends how pessemistic you are :P :/ I mean in the modern day almost everything uses the stuff - Transport networks, packaging, powerplants (most). So once the oil runs out of effective use before we can outfit basically everything with renewable soures of energy, I would expect it to crash.

However, when I say everything I refer mostly to power, transportation and argiculture ^^ But it's all opinion to how long oil has an effective lifespan for :/ I'd give it 10 years, 15 max :P

Maybe once fuel gets too insanely expensive, like up to $5-6 a gallon, we might consider solar energy?

Sure, it costs a lot less, and it isn't as efficient, but it's much better for the environment!

Woo! :D I get to go all nerdy on everyone!

The problem will solar is sheer expense, without much power being produced - especially ground solar stations, in england with only 1MW per square metre of light falling on the ground in sunlight , it's hardly ecconomic spending millions of pounds installing solar stations - especially since alot of England is either protected countryside, cityscape or agriculture. Or, more importantly never sees sun :P

Places like africa or deserts recieve 3(sorry can't cite the article, but it was in NS or a NASA article) MW per square metre. Now, that would be viable as africa is a big place :D However, it wouldn't benefit any country who desperately needs to find alternatives to oil (eg, China, America, England).

However, there is a way for it to work :) What alot of countries are hoping to do is to put solar cells into orbit around the earth, where the amount of light is 100MWpSM(I think! I heard that today, so if I'm wrong please don't shoot me xD) Anyway, this will be collected through an array of solar cells which then beam the energy produced back to earth through microwaves. These microwaves can then be used for energy - I imagine they could either boil water into steam and force that through turbines, or use the photo-electric effect to cause a current flow :D

So yeah...There's an explanation of solar :) It's a viable source I think so long as everything was electric and there were charging stations about ^^ However we've still got the problem of planes...Which need kerosine to produce the thrust they require to get off the ground, so fishkeeping is still vulnerable :(
 
one of the things about solar panels/power is it hasn't been aorund for as long as fossil fuel power. If the world was to invest 1% of it's annual income into solar research and development then in a short time we would have high quality solar panels that could power a house and cost very little. Unfortunately until the price of oil gets high enough, people will continue to rely on it and governments & businesses won't bother investing in solar technology in a big way.
 
one of the things about solar panels/power is it hasn't been aorund for as long as fossil fuel power. If the world was to invest 1% of it's annual income into solar research and development then in a short time we would have high quality solar panels that could power a house and cost very little. Unfortunately until the price of oil gets high enough, people will continue to rely on it and governments & businesses won't bother investing in solar technology in a big way.

Since this thread petrol in N.Ireland has jumped 1.10 to 1.18!!!!!!!!!!!

£30 pound almost filled my car when I got it 4 years ago a 307 now it gets me half a tank.

Guys I think this is going to happen sooner than we all expect and the government is using smokescreens.

Fishermen have to park up their boats because they can't afford to run them. Bad times ahead
 
since the beginning of this year the price of fuel around here has gone up about 30c a litre. It is currently around $1.60 per litre mark for regular unleaded. If you buy premium unleaded you pay 10cents a litre more. Needless to say in the last few months I have been cycling quite a lot ;)
 
Do you truely think that when we run out of oil anyone who is sane will be thinking about their fish tanks? :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
most people who keep fish are insane to start with :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top