The End Of Fish Keeping As We Know It.

For becca320
Your husband is told what he wants to hear.

-- OK will let him know !! !! LMAO :rolleyes:
Ha ha Seriously though I know where you are coming from but there is an awful lot of scaremongery about.

I am obviously not as intelligent and knowingful as you on any of these subjects but is there not heat further down than oil, and why can this heat not be used and converted to energy ?? Sounds stupid ??

Anyway either way I can get this thread to use as an excuse for more fish and more breeding tanks lmao
 
YES!!!!!!

Lets all panic buy tanks and fish and breed our asses off!!! At last a valid excuse to turn my garage into a fish room! Hooray! I will have to sell hubbies bikes!
 
but is there not heat further down than oil, and why can this heat not be used and converted to energy??
yep the heat from the earth's core can be used to provide power. It's geothermal energy. They pump water down to the hot areas and it boils producing steam which rises up and runs turbines, which in turn run the generators to provide power.

YES!!!!!!
Lets all panic buy tanks and fish and breed our asses off!!! At last a valid excuse to turn my garage into a fish room! Hooray! I will have to sell hubbies bikes!
what you haven't done that already. You can use the money from the bikes to buy your new tanks.
C'mon everybody, push the cars out onto the streets and put fish tanks in their place :)
 
but is there not heat further down than oil, and why can this heat not be used and converted to energy??
yep the heat from the earth's core can be used to provide power. It's geothermal energy. They pump water down to the hot areas and it boils producing steam which rises up and runs turbines, which in turn run the generators to provide power.

YES!!!!!!
Lets all panic buy tanks and fish and breed our asses off!!! At last a valid excuse to turn my garage into a fish room! Hooray! I will have to sell hubbies bikes!
what you haven't done that already. You can use the money from the bikes to buy your new tanks.
C'mon everybody, push the cars out onto the streets and put fish tanks in their place :)

here in Minnesota we 'grow' ethanol and methane, plenty of both! but Oil doesn't profit from the developement of alternative fuel sources
 
you don't buy fuel do you luketendo? :)
I think anyone who goes to the petrol station every week and watches the price of fuel go up like it has over the last couple of years will agree something is changing.
 
There is deffo a problem. When I got my first car, I used to fill up the tank on about £14. Now when If I put £14 in my tank, I would only get a quarter of a tank full.
 
There is deffo a problem. When I got my first car, I used to fill up the tank on about £14. Now when If I put £14 in my tank, I would only get a quarter of a tank full.

The cost of petrol here in N.Ireland has gone from £0.98 to £1.08-£1.10 over the past year :/ and there still a 3pence tax to be going on that in a few months time I think :/
 
Im paying £1.25 a litre now.

Most people are worried that when we run out of oil we will run out of fuel. What worries me MUCH MUCH more is that what most people dont realise is that when we run out of oil we will run out of just about EVERYTHING thats not wood or straight metal. e.g.

Plastic, Glass, Paint, Nylon. Guys pretty much EVERYTHING is made from oil. So you can kiss your fish tanks goodbye, were going back to the stone age folks. Fuel is the least of your worries.
 
can you imagine what it would be like if gas suddenly went up to $10 a gallon.

hmmm it's about £1.10 per litre in the UK now, so that's £4.07 a gallon, so $8 and a bit dollars.

not that far off for us!! :rolleyes:
 
Well I didn't want to bring this up, because when people see that I think we'll hit the wall in about 5 years they think I'm bonkers. But I don't think I am.

Both of the major oil discoveries at the moment - one in Canada/Alaska, one underwater near Brazil, contain several billion barrels of oil. What we AREN'T told is that several billion barrels of oil will last the world a few months - at current demand. Demand is constantly increasing. If you don't believe that, check this out: http://www.energyandcapital.com/peakoilclock/

We also are conveniently not told that it will take at least 5-10 years to get these oil fields producing, that it will take a long time to get the oil out, that not all of the oil is actually physically able to be removed, and that it may not be economical to remove what is left while oil is under several hundred dollars a barrel.

There is nowhere near enough oil and because we aren't told nobody knows. If you want to find out you have to go looking. Everybody carries on about global warming and ignores the real threat. Most of the world are bluepills, no offence. Colin_T is right. Governments are too scared of causing riots, panic, civil war etc. So they pretend it isn't happening until they can't deny it. If you want the proof, PM me and I'll send you all the links.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about my fish. Yeah, I will be severely bummed if I can't keep my fish. I love them to death. But as a person who is mentally prepared for the reality of peak oil, I know full well that if the worst comes to the worst - WTSHTF as they say on the peak oil websites (when the fecal matter initiates contact with the rotary oscillator) - I know that I may not be able to keep them forever. If and when TSHTF, I will spread the fish over as many containers as I can find, change the water often and allow them to live out their lives. I don't want to be unable to keep fish, but I accept that it may happen.

The reason we are in this situation is wilful ignorance. People don't want to know that the world, when not supported by modern unsustainable agriculture (the American food system uses 10x the energy it makes. It would take 3 weeks manual labour by one person to grow the average American daily diet without fertiliser or machinery) - the world can only support about 2 billion people. Currently there are over 6 billion people. We don't want to have to face facts and accept that we are overpopulated and have to slow our growth - so we pretend it isn't happening. It's the greatest human weakness and the reason why huge numbers of innocent people may die if we can't come up with the alternatives fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a megadoomer. The creativity of human beings is virtually endless and faced with life or death situations, we will come up with solutions. I just think that the current way of life - where the oil is spent fuelling motorised shopping carts and packaging instant lasagna - is totally unsustainable and is going to come to a screeching halt in a few years time. If you look beneath the surface, you will see it's already starting. Food riots have occured in Egypt, Haiti, Senegal, Indonesia and Yemen to name a few and there are articles everywhere about food shortages and rising food prices. I'm lucky, I live in one of the most sustainable regions of the world - it's uncomfortably hot in summer but in winter I would survive, if uncomfortably, with a couple of layers of clothing. We can walk out the back door, plant seeds and expect them to grow. I wish everybody was this lucky. I honestly do.
 
I'm not sure how much more this'll be taking the thread off topic (if at all, it's concerned with oil running out right? :P) but I think that it's worth posting.

I think LaruaFrog has hit the proverbial nail on the head and I'd just like to add to that with a theory I read a few days ago (Yeahh I'm one of those guys who reads the end of days theories for kicks :P) So if you don't want to read either - A) My incoherant ramblings, or B) A nice little theory prophesising the end of life as we know it, then I guess you should stop reading :D

Okayy, onto the fun :D I refer to this as the petri dish argument - it is a basic analagy of bacteria in a petri dish filled with agar to the human expansion on this planet. So...

...We've all done the experiments in biology (well I did for sure, only in my AS levels! :D), you place a small bacteria culture into a dish filled with agar and over a few days you observe it growing at an exponential rate. Now the problem comes when about half the agar has been used - the bacteria culture has grown to such number that with only half of the agar left they cannot all be fed, which causes a huge portion of the bacteria culture to die off. The ones that are left are able to eat the agar but in far fewer numbers and never reach the same population.

Right...So that was the easy bit, for me at least, I find huge problems relating the right bits of the petri dish bit to the human race...So bear with me :P

The bacteria represents the human race
The petri dish represents the earth (I think)
The agar represents oil.

Now, 150 years ago the first oil well was drilled (I think! xD) and the human population was around 1.5 billion. In the present day the human population is 6.6billion and we've used roughly 50% of the oil on the planet. Now as oil is what our entire civilisation is built upon it seems right to say that the agar does infact represent oil. Applying the analagy to this, it shows that when half the resource runs out the population crashes.

Of course people will say that we have renewable energy sources, but I doubt that renewable energy can replace even 20% of the power oil gives. I may be wrong about that, if I am, please correct me :)

So to sum it all up...Civilisation as we know it's gonna end very soon! :)

/Analagy over sorry about the length ^^

So yeah...my view on this whole subject is that if Colin_T is correct (and let's face it, when's he wrong? :P) then it's not just our fish we should be worrying about!
 
Colin does make sense but then again the fishkeeping industry is huge and very much profitable. it's not something that will close overnight due to oil shortages. bulk of the worry would still go towards basic necessities and not so much of fishkeeping if it really comes to that. as of now, there're many binding agreements around fishkeeping with various companies all around and these bonds would more or less prevent the immediate effect of the oil shortage. what may spring up now would really be a rise in prices all around.
 
The vast majority of all goods, especially food are shipped using container ships. Air transport plays a very small role in world trade tonnage wise.

As for transporting fish around the globe ... well the sooner that stops the better.

Can we get by without oil? Well that really depends ... but I wouldn't go building a bunker in the woods just yet. It seems to me that there are already many viable alternatives to oil ... many of which the oil companies hold the patents to! The only question is how much are we going to have to pay ...

edit- As for something to worry about ... I think the global economic downturn caused by sub-prime Americans - and their morally dubious mortgage lenders ... and the subsequent ongoing theft of taxpayers money being used to prop up the failing banking system is a far more immediate problem.
 
just adding a bit more fuel to the fire
fish bags are made from fossil fuels. When the government bans plastic bags, or we run out of oil, will the LFS ask if we want our new fish in paper or plastic :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top