The Effect Of Colour

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

pieman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is there much work about the effect of colour on fish, I have a tiny, thin, red straw and I wiggled it infront of my tank today, and some of the fish started to chase it round, and flare at it.

Now only having tried this with the colour red, I can't comment on any effects of colour. Has anyone else looked into this and noticed a certain reaction?

There's an interesting article that just came out last week in the current issue of "American Scientist." Its by some fellows that have been studying fish and UV light, what the fish see and other interesting questions. The title is "UV Lights up Marine Fish." The issue is Volume 96, No.6, Nov-Dec 2008.

Take a look. I think many members would find it interesting.

~~waterdrop~~

I can't cite any particular works, but the colour of objects and particular food can have a dramatic effect on how a fish reacts. You've only got to look at how anglers change the colour of their baits in order to catch a fish.
On any given day a particular colour may work better than others, for all or even a particular species of fish.

red for instance is quite often used in baits for predators as it resembles a wound and therefore an easy target for a meal.

Colour is very important- hence things like breeding colours in fish, stress bars etc. There's been a lot done with sticklebacks and the colour red- males turn red when in breeding colours and hence males react very violenty to that colour in breeding season.

Most reactions

Back