The Big One Just Hit The Tank. This Sucks.

Fire_an_Ice

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Less-than-sunny Skelton! (North East UK)
Well. I'VE got the cold from hell, my wife is feeling even worse then I do, and all my fish, bar 3, have just died. Spectacular. Water chemistry was good, (Ammonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite Low, PH bang on, Temperature steady.) All transfered in to the beautiful new tank, everything was looking good. Then...well, not entirely sure. Went away on the saturday morning, came back on sunday evening to find TEN dead fish floating around or trapped in the plants etc and everyone else with fungal (cotton wool type) growths. Straight into the hospital tank, treatment in as soon as I could lay my mits on it. But to no avail. Gutted doesn't come into it. Lost the lot apart from my 2 cory's and 1 Molly. I can only put this down to introducing 5 new fish (Phantom Tetras) and bringing an infection with them (They were among the 1st to go). I appreciate that there's nothing I or anyone else can do about this now, save learn from my mistake of not quarantining. Good old 20/20 hindsight. I've spent the last few days stripping the tank completely, cleaning EVERYTHING, (then cleaning it some more) and putting it back together. Just got new substrate in tonight, filled with water and got plants etc in. Fishless cycling once again beckons. Sigh. It's almost enough to make me quit.

*achoo*

Rubbish.

Fire_an_ice
 
Awww hun so sorry. Its a real pain when summin like that happens and its happened to me before. Hugs to ya hun and wishes for a better next time
 
That really does suck :( But hey, you learn more from a loss then a win. Just think of it as more "advice" for future adventures in fish keeping :)

Cheer up and feel better soon!
 
wow.. not good.. dead fish makes me sad. like this-----> :-(
and happy fish make me like this------> :hyper:
and funny fish make me like this------> :lol:
oh and when I have to flush fish down the toilet it makes me like this------> :sick:
 
I'm so sorry to hear that - I've gone through the same myself about 2 weeks ago.

Originally thought Neon Tetra disease hit my tank as I has to hoik one of them out with symptoms. However, isolated it to one of the Oto's I introduced to the tank having Whitespot, and my not so helpful neighbor advising the level of meds to add. Turns out that level was 6 times the entire dose for the week which poisoned the stock and killed the bacteria in the filter. The resulting Ammonia spike coupled with ICH was too much for the tank to take and I very painfully had to watch this lot (one of the last pics of the tank I got die over 5 days. Most of which I had to euthanase as they were in such a bad shape)

Fish.jpg


Chin up fella. I know what you mean about hindsight - if only I'd verified the meds amount before adding. I'm usually so diligent about such things, almost to the point of obsessive (as my girlfriend reguarly points out :D) and the one time I slip up, I pay for it in the biggest possible way.
 
Thanks folks...Adie, that's a real pity mate...it looks like you had a nice setup going, judging from that pic...Will try and post some pics as I go along with the tank...then I'll probably be after some restocking ideas... Deep breath, and reach for the ammonia bottle (But dont get it mixed up with the cough syrup)

Thanks again for the replies...always hleps knowing other people give a toss :D

F&I
 

Most reactions

Back
Top