The Adventure Begins - UNS Rimless 20G Planted Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After trying for 2 months to find this rimless tank somewhere near me, I finally found a shop that had the all-in-one version. It wasn't my first choice as I lose a few gallons for the built in stuff on the back of the tank, but I do think it will keep the tank nice and clean looking with the wires, filter, heater, etc. all hidden inside the built-in section for all of the filter media and equipment. The tank came with a power head filter that I'm not familiar with (3rd photo). I will add a sponge filter to the tank so even if it's not the best at filtration I have the sponge filter as a secondary option.

I bought a piece of spider wood from the LFS and still need to get some stones. The shop really didn't have much hardscape material. I'm thinking maybe dragon stone but will go look around locally to see what would complement the spider wood.

This will be my first planted tank so I'm planning on beginner friendly options that are low to medium light - Amazon swords, crypts, java fern, anubias nana, etc.

Stocking goals are 6 sterbai corys and 1 betta. I'll go with sand substrate for the corys.

I had to order the UNS cabinet stand online so once that comes in I'll be rocking and rolling with the set-up. For now, it's nice to have some time to just think through the layout of the hardscape and how the plants might work with that. Photo of the stand from the online catalog attached. That thing is SWEET!

Here are a few photos to start. I'll update as things progress. So excited for my first planted tank! I think it's going to look great in my home office.

Attachments

• IMG_6717.jpeg
    IMG_6717.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6718.jpeg
    IMG_6718.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6719.jpeg
    IMG_6719.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 124
  • UNS-WOOD-STAND-WOOD-60U-Cabinet-2-1.jpg
    UNS-WOOD-STAND-WOOD-60U-Cabinet-2-1.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 145
After trying for 2 months to find this rimless tank somewhere near me, I finally found a shop that had the all-in-one version. It wasn't my first choice as I lose a few gallons for the built in stuff on the back of the tank, but I do think it will keep the tank nice and clean looking with the wires, filter, heater, etc. all hidden inside the built-in section for all of the filter media and equipment. The tank came with a power head filter that I'm not familiar with (3rd photo). I will add a sponge filter to the tank so even if it's not the best at filtration I have the sponge filter as a secondary option.

I bought a piece of spider wood from the LFS and still need to get some stones. The shop really didn't have much hardscape material. I'm thinking maybe dragon stone but will go look around locally to see what would complement the spider wood.

This will be my first planted tank so I'm planning on beginner friendly options that are low to medium light - Amazon swords, crypts, java fern, anubias nana, etc.

Stocking goals are 6 sterbai corys and 1 betta. I'll go with sand substrate for the corys.

I had to order the UNS cabinet stand online so once that comes in I'll be rocking and rolling with the set-up. For now, it's nice to have some time to just think through the layout of the hardscape and how the plants might work with that. Photo of the stand from the online catalog attached. That thing is SWEET!

Here are a few photos to start. I'll update as things progress. So excited for my first planted tank! I think it's going to look great in my home office.
ooooo you could make a cool scape in that tank. Be careful with the spiderwood. It can take a few weeks to sink as it needs to absorb the water and nutrients. As you said above wedging it down with stones is a good idea. That's what I did with my 33 gallon.

Just a question, have you checked to see if the fish you've planned to stock are suitable for your water?

Super duper exciting update..... I'M SOAKING THE WOOD!!!!!! Lol - hey I gotta keep entertained while I wait for my stand to come in.

Attachments

• IMG_6721.jpeg
    IMG_6721.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 101
You mentioned above the plants you are putting in, are yoou going to try and tie some java fern to the wood? I would add the amazon swords in the back as well as the anubias. I need to update the picture on my tank but it is thriving at the moment. I can post the picture around 5 so I will do so.

You mentioned above the plants you are putting in, are yoou going to try and tie some java fern to the wood? I would add the amazon swords in the back as well as the anubias. I need to update the picture on my tank but it is thriving at the moment. I can post the picture around 5 so I will do so.
Yes, the plan is to try to do as many plants attached to wood and rocks as possible (vs. planted in substrate since I'll be going with sand). I suppose I'll root tab the heck out of any areas I put amazon swords. The 2 images attached are kind of the look I want - just on a smaller scale for my tank size.

Would love to see pics of your tank whenever you can post!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 9.11.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 9.11.50 AM.png
    662 KB · Views: 107
  • bgh8lsm7m1t41.jpg
    bgh8lsm7m1t41.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 115
Yes, the plan is to try to do as many plants attached to wood and rocks as possible (vs. planted in substrate since I'll be going with sand). I suppose I'll root tab the heck out of any areas I put amazon swords. The 2 images attached are kind of the look I want - just on a smaller scale for my tank size.

Would love to see pics of your tank whenever you can post!
I think you might need a bit more spiderwood lol. The second image looks like there is multiple there. Ngl my tank is a bit of a mess and is very full of plants. However, I know that the fish love it and every week I add 3 and a bit lidfulls of some beneficial plant bacteria which helps them grow and neutralises wilting leaves as far as I recall.

I did order some more small spiderwood. I'll cut it up to fit it in around the main piece once it comes in. I also went with thousand layer rock which looks super cool and Caribsea sand in sunset gold. Super stoked to get everything in. Seems like I'll be spending a lot of time rinsing sand soon!

Attachments

• Thousand Layer Stone.jpg
    Thousand Layer Stone.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Sunset Gold.jpg
    Sunset Gold.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 98
I did order some more small spiderwood. I'll cut it up to fit it in around the main piece once it comes in. I also went with thousand layer rock which looks super cool and Caribsea sand in sunset gold. Super stoked to get everything in. Seems like I'll be spending a lot of time rinsing sand soon!
I can't wait to see the scape and then the scape with fish in it!

Yay an other rimless member :) Both my tanks are rimless, they just look so much better.

I'm not sure that filter is actualy a filter is it just a powerhead? Is there space for any media? Rimless tanks look really good with lilly pipes either glass or stainless steel if you could upgrade to an external filter it will really help.

I agree with the others on needing more hardscape, it is expensive but it is worth it and sometimes good to have too much so you can choose what you put in rather than being limited by what you have. The plants you have shown look good the only thing I would suggest is a couple of Crypts, if you are putting root tabs in they will do really well in sand and would compliment your swords really well too.

Wills

I'm not sure that filter is actualy a filter is it just a powerhead?
Yep, so it's just a power head. I've never used one of those before so I have no idea if it's a filter or if something else is needed? Very confused! I am planning on a sponge filter in the tank so that should provide additional filtration.

In terms of the pipes, I am not planning on going with CO2 (at least not for a while). This will be my first planted tank so I'm going pretty low tech to start.

I agree with the others on needing more hardscape,
I have already ordered more spider wood and about 15 pounds of rock. It is just a 20g so I think that might be enough once I get the plants in it, but will see once I start to lay it out.

Thanks for all the advice! Just sitting back at this point (impatiently) waiting for all the things I've ordered to start coming in so I can make more progress.

Is there space for any media?
So this (see photo) is the area behind the black panel on the back of the (all-in-one) tank. There is a lot of room for filter media. There is a coarse pad in there as well as some bio rings and then the compartment on the right is where the power head will go. So I'm guessing the power head gets the water flowing and it gets pulled into the back chamber with the various filter media and then the water flows back out from the little tube at the top right from the filter chamber into the main tank area.

I'm hoping with that (the power head + filter media in the back compartment) plus a sponge filter in the tank it will be sufficient.

Attachments

• IMG_6726.jpeg
    IMG_6726.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 103
That makes sense, bit like the Juwel aquariums where its all built in which explains why its just a powerhead. You wont need the sponge filter as well I dont think.

Lilly pipes are actually fittings for external filters, for Co2 its a diffuser which is a bit like an airstone. I think you are close enough to the dark side before I tempt you over with Co2 though haha :) I am enjoying the variety of plants Co2 offers but it really isnt for everyone I only have it in one of my tanks the second is low tech with sand and soil though.

Wills

I think you are close enough to the dark side before I tempt you over with Co2 though haha
There are enough plants that have caught my eye that do well with Co2 that I can see myself going there after I get the tank set up. I watched a video (I think from Green Aqua) about not being 'scared' of Co2 and how it's not a big deal to set up or maintain. I think it just has a stigma associated with it among us newbies to the hobby. I'd eventually like to do a larger tank with some grass-like carpeting plants so I know Co2 is in my future.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back