That's a relief....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kwi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Was away with work a lot the last two weeks, lost a chili rasbora while away, it was found rather quickly and removed as it was stuck to the filter intake.
Any ways I get back and do a large water change and settle to watch the fish, only where are they all? The Chilis had retreated to the back lower corner of the tank, alongside the cory, one of the honey gourami was doing it's usual hanging out near a cave and the 2nd one was slap bang in the middle of the tank, he then spies a cory in one of the corner and slowly swims up to it before giving chase, yup he's gone all territorial on me and chased everything away. The chilis had lost their colour and the corys are almost translucent.
So last night I stripped the tank to the substrate, everything came out bar the fish and sand, everything got cleaned and except the filter nothing fot returned to it's original place or orientation. Apart from the sylvania, hard to do anything different with floating plants........
Noticed an immediate improvement, the chilis had come out of hiding and the two gouramis where swimming to gether and the corys where being corys. Fed artemia before going to bed.
Come down this morning and the chilis are even going red again and the gourami in question has stopped acting like a prick.
Was a timely reminder that despite often being labelled as peaceful, as Honey Gourami are, a territorial fish will still become such from time to time and often a simple fix will save rehoming, or worse.
But it has fuelled the "We need a bigger tank." discussion so fingers crossed.

Sounds like he wanted to breed. When the humans are away, the fishies play ;) ;)
Funny his throat has only flashed this morning, it usually does for a day or two after water changes though, and he's made bubble nests in the past with no issues, though I think I need to remove some Sylvania, its taking over a touch. Give a bit more room at the surface

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back