Thanks for nothing Petco!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Interesting... Never heard that before
I think the addition of salt makes it heavier?

Fresh or salt doesn't matter because it's just a rule of thumb. The exact weight is going to depend on your specific setup and decor. The 10#/gallon rule will get you close enough to get a stand that's sturdy enough. I try to get something that's rated at least 10#/gallon + 20% or so, just to be extra safe. (You REALLY don't want a stand to collapse under your aquarium) That will work for fresh or salt.

That's awesome they'll do that! (Doesn't mean they'll survive cause their not quality fish, but still it's cool they'll replace the lost fish)
Like I said I figure that was the best that I would get. On hind sight I probably should have also held out for replacements for all the plants and decor but their call woke me up and I was a bit sluggish.

I KNOW that some will disagree but I'm still going to try to save the plants and decor. Here is my plan considering that there is no way that I can determine whether is issue was a toxin (most probable), bacterial or fungal...
1) In a couple more days I will be done with my PH test on the deer antler. So far there has been no change in PH.
2) While I agree that chemicals and meds are a last result I'm going to dose the heck out of the tank with antibiotics and anti-fungal meds.
3) Will then do as close to 100% water changes as often as I can, daily would be nice. This would be to dilute any possible toxins and remove everything that I can.... Actually 2) and 3) may be reversed. I may also add a couple of carbon packs.
4) cycle the tank with nothing but substrate, decor and plants. I MAY replace the substrate as it would be the most likely to 'hang on' to toxins.
5) Once cycled I'll add a couple of cheap fish to see if they do OK.
6) If all is good at this point I'll turn in my claim for Petco's fish replacement.

The only requirement from Petco is that, before fish replacement, I bring in a water sample for them to test.

I added plants from Petco 1.5-2 days ago and today all my corys are dead and I doubt that my black skirt tetras will make it. One of the plants was apparently infested with Ich. Yes, Plants can carry Ich.

Nothing else has been added to the tank except for the new plants. 2 days ago there was no issue or any indication of Ich. Today the corys are dead and the tetras are drastically covered in spots. Doing what I can but I doubt that the tetras will make it.

Had to be an extreme infestation as yesterday all still looked good but today dead corys and tetras seriously infected on bodies and fins. :(

I REALLY need to get a small isolation tank so I can quarantine before adding to my cube!
Same problem here. I bought Java fern and an El Nino ferm and it made my fish sick. Now instead of trying to get my plants settled... I'm tending to my sick fish. Well learned my lesson... I now have a quarantine tank. Ugh!

Like I said I figure that was the best that I would get. On hind sight I probably should have also held out for replacements for all the plants and decor but their call woke me up and I was a bit sluggish.

I KNOW that some will disagree but I'm still going to try to save the plants and decor. Here is my plan considering that there is no way that I can determine whether is issue was a toxin (most probable), bacterial or fungal...
1) In a couple more days I will be done with my PH test on the deer antler. So far there has been no change in PH.
2) While I agree that chemicals and meds are a last result I'm going to dose the heck out of the tank with antibiotics and anti-fungal meds.
3) Will then do as close to 100% water changes as often as I can, daily would be nice. This would be to dilute any possible toxins and remove everything that I can.... Actually 2) and 3) may be reversed. I may also add a couple of carbon packs.
4) cycle the tank with nothing but substrate, decor and plants. I MAY replace the substrate as it would be the most likely to 'hang on' to toxins.
5) Once cycled I'll add a couple of cheap fish to see if they do OK.
6) If all is good at this point I'll turn in my claim for Petco's fish replacement.

The only requirement from Petco is that, before fish replacement, I bring in a water sample for them to test.
To get ich out of that tank I'd cook it without fish for a week or 2. 98 degrees, may take 2 heaters. no chemicals to remove. To ich off your plants, I'd dunk in bleach water and remove to a bucket in the sunshine with clean water for a week or so? After cooking do a nice big water change. I am a lazy person

The biggest risk to destroy tank setups, cycles, balance, fish and plants are we humans when we're not nothing what we're facing.

Think the Title should be changed then hahaha.
No, the title remains the same. ;)

I AM beginning to wonder if I'm wrong as to the problem being a toxin rather than fungal. I still lean toward a toxin but, after all the fish were dead, I introduced a small deer antler to test as to if it would affect my PH. PH didn't change but, after 5-6 days the antler developed white 'hairs' all over. That seems fungal to me. Should have taken a photo before removing the antler but didn't think.

I still think the likely culprit was a toxin but it is things like the above that make me want to dose with anti-fungal and antibiotics before flushing and recycling. Once I've done the antibiotic and fungal stuff I'll also add carbon to the built in filtration chamber which should probably do nothing but I want to cover all bases.

Funny thing is that I just may spend more trying to save plants and decor than I would spend totally starting over. Then again it isn't a matter of cost as it has become personal.

If you aren't sure and it could be a toxin - such as a heavy metal, the cure would be repeatedly flushing the tank.
If you aren't sure and you think it's fungal or bacterial, I am a lazy woman, pull the plants you want to keep alive, dump in a cup of bleach, leave the pumps running, it will kill everything, and after flushing a couple of times, use extra chlorine remover when you set it up for fishless cycle. (or use very inexpensive guppies) I think I let the bleach run in my hex for a couple of days but it was infested with neon tetra disease and I wanted to be sure.

I AM beginning to wonder if I'm wrong as to the problem being a toxin rather than fungal. I still lean toward a toxin but, after all the fish were dead, I introduced a small deer antler to test as to if it would affect my PH. PH didn't change but, after 5-6 days the antler developed white 'hairs' all over. That seems fungal to me. Should have taken a photo before removing the antler but didn't think.
Sounds like a case of driftwood snot. (I'm sure there's a better name, but that's what I've always called it) Wood tends to develop a coating of slimy, white stuff when first put in a tank. It seems harmless and goes away with time. I don't see why an antler wouldn't get something similar.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back