Tetra With Hurt Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CoryLover95

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!
So this isn't exactly an *emergency*, so I didn't post it in the emergency section, but I would like some help and fairly soon if possible.
I have a Long Fin Red Minor Tetra which I've had for about 2 weeks or so, and this morning he had half of its tail off.  It looks like the fish was probably caught on something.  The other fish were bullying him a little, so I isolated him in a 10 gallon.  I added Stress Coat and Aquarium Salt.  Attached is a picture.
Do you think that I need any specialized medications, such as Melafix?  I'd like to try the "natural" course first with AQ salt and Stress Coat, if possible.  Please reply--all questions, suggestions, or comments welcome!
Thanks,
-CL95

The best "medicine" for him would probably be lots and lots of freshwater.  Make sure that you are doing 50% water changes daily on the tank.  The best cure is to allow his body to heal it, but for that to happen, he needs to have freshwater, the same as people need fresh bandages.  

Melafix might help, but I think less is more many times. I think that simply providing freshwater and no other harassing fish would be the best option for him.  Just be sure to keep the amount of salt going into the tank the same as what's leaving so that there is no added stress because of that. 

Its possible that no salt and just lots of fresh water would be sufficient.  But, since you've already added the salt, you might as well not stress the fish more by changing the salinity again.  Just keep the water clean (and oxygenated - salty water holds less oxygen).  I'd add an airstone to the tank, if you have it.  In fact, many times an airstone and sponge filter is all that you need on a QT, as the bioload is so small, there's no need for much more than that to keep the water clean.  Keep feedings VERY small for a while to help the water stay clean.  Also, a bare tank bottom is helpful because you can easily vac up any detritus or uneaten food quickly, once again to help keep the water as clean as possible.

eaglesaquarium said:
The best "medicine" for him would probably be lots and lots of freshwater.  Make sure that you are doing 50% water changes daily on the tank.  The best cure is to allow his body to heal it, but for that to happen, he needs to have freshwater, the same as people need fresh bandages.  

Melafix might help, but I think less is more many times. I think that simply providing freshwater and no other harassing fish would be the best option for him.  Just be sure to keep the amount of salt going into the tank the same as what's leaving so that there is no added stress because of that. 

Its possible that no salt and just lots of fresh water would be sufficient.  But, since you've already added the salt, you might as well not stress the fish more by changing the salinity again.  Just keep the water clean (and oxygenated - salty water holds less oxygen).  I'd add an airstone to the tank, if you have it.  In fact, many times an airstone and sponge filter is all that you need on a QT, as the bioload is so small, there's no need for much more than that to keep the water clean.  Keep feedings VERY small for a while to help the water stay clean.  Also, a bare tank bottom is helpful because you can easily vac up any detritus or uneaten food quickly, once again to help keep the water as clean as possible.
Thanks so much eaglesaquarium!  Yes, I do have an air stone in the tank.  I will keep feedings very small...and do the water changes you recommended.  Do you think that some bloodworms/brine shrimp frozen food would be good for him as well as a few flakes?

I think I'd stick to the flakes... The nutrition in them is pretty well balanced...

Watch for improvement, or for deterioration.

This morning, it looks like almost all of the tail is off, leaving only a shredded stump.  He seems to have trouble swimming.  I think I'll try the Melafix.  Wow, is this progressing fast...

Unfortunately, the Tetra looks like he has almost no fins left.  Huge chunks were missing and he was having so much trouble swimming that he was being blown around by the filter/air pump.  He finally stopped hanging by his tail (or what would have been his tail if it hadn't already shredded off) at the surface, but his gills and fins were still moving feebly.  I thought that the kindest thing would be to euthanize him, and he is in the freezer right now as I type 
rip.gif
 He was a trooper.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back