Tetra Safe Start And Cycling My New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I run my 250L with 2 of the ones that came with the tank, not great but better my APS external can do. Heres a pic

DSCF3992.jpg

OK. Thanks. I have removed the spray bar.
The tank has been aquascaped for me :hyper: :hey: and I will start the cycle tomorrow as soon as the Ph goes up.

Here are some pictures:

p1130629.jpg

A close up view:

p1130630.jpg

p1130631j.jpg

And with only the red light on:

p1130637z.jpg

Thanks HayzH :good:

I am ready to start. Just tested the water and stats are as expected from my tap water, besides the Ph which miraculously raises after a few hours itself from 6.6 tap water to 7.6 fish tank water.

Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrites-0ppm
Nitrates-5ppm
Ph-7.6
Temperature-26.8

If I got the calculations right, I have 300L/80G water itself and I am goint to raise ammonia to 1ppm, unlike a standard fishless cycle. Reason?
First because I am going to use Tetra Safe start and I am not convinced high ammounts of ammonia and subsequently of nitrites are a good idea.
Second because when I did my previous 2 cycles with fish and Tetra Safe Start, ammonia was never really above 1ppm most of the time anyhow, so I am trying to be close to what worked for me before.
Once I raise the ammonia to 1ppm about, if I get it right :sick: ....I will put 2 bottles of Tetra Safe Start, 250ml each.

I am using the API liquid master test kit, and for those of you that are reading this and have never used it, the charts below from left to right represent: PH low range test, PH high range test, Ammonia, NitrItes, NitrAtes.

My current stats before ammonia is in:

From left to right: PH-7.6, nitrItes-0ppm, nitrAtes-5ppm

p1140640.jpg

From left to right: ammonia-0ppm,nitrAtes-0ppm,nitrAtes-5ppm

p1140641.jpg

Same picture as above, only the ammonia bottle next to it

p1140642.jpg

Well, wish me luck. I am off to put ammonia in the tank.

I added the ammonia. I put 3.5ml of 9% ammonia for 300L with the intention to raise it to around 1-ish ppm ammonia. I left it mix for about 45min.
I just tested and it looks like ammonia is between 1-2ppm, it is above 1ppm but not quite 2ppm I think.

Picture taken a few minutes ago:

p1140651.jpg

I added 2 bottles of tetra safe start, 250ml each which is about exactly double the recommended dose on the bottle.
The tank looks a bit cloudy right now:

p1140649n.jpg

Oh man I am super excited about this thread! I am an avid user of SafeStart and am ready to see it strut it's stuff. It has ALWAYS worked for me, as has the marine version. :good:

It also fixes over-zealous filter cleanings that cause an ammo spike as well! :look:

I think I contaminated the ammonia test yesterday, as I used the same syringe to measure the ammonia and also take water out for the ammonia test :blush:

I tested twice since and ammonia is visibly at 1ppm. Anyway,there hasn't been a change since. Here is a picture:

From left to right: ammonia-1ppm, nitrIte-0, nitrAte-5ppm

p1140658n.jpg

Hi snazy

Why did you decide to double dose the Safe Start?

And could you edit your original post each day to log the readings and briefly mention anything you did? That'd save having to trawl through the whole thread to see the progress. I'd like to see at least daily readings of: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature, and KH if you have that test.

Also it would make the readings clearer to us if you sat them on something to raise them adjacent to the matching colour square.

I put double the dose of Tetra Safe Start as that is what I was advised and also to cover for any possibly dead bacteria.

I will summaraze all under one post, but so far it's pointless as I haven't done anything besides putting water in the tank with Api tap safe dechlor, dosed 3.5 ml ammonia for 300L water and 9% ammonia solution, waited some 45 min I think and then dropped two bottles of tetra safe start. Temperature hasn't changed and is showing 26.8. I don't have a KH test. I will edit my original post.

I just tested the PH and it has risen up to 8.2 it seems(I tested low and high range yesterday and it was 7.6)

Picture:

p1150663.jpg

That pH of 8.2 is great for the nitrifiers but it's worrying that it's risen from 7.6 in one day. Do you think it was a misread of the test or is it something like the substrate causing it?

That pH of 8.2 is great for the nitrifiers but it's worrying that it's risen from 7.6 in one day. Do you think it was a misread of the test or is it something like the substrate causing it?

I have no idea what's causing the PH to rise. I haven't added anything and I was assured in the LFS that the sand is normal tropical sand not containing any Ph adjusters. I remember same happening on my first tank during cycling with the tetra as well. Ph rised to 8.4. I didn't take any notice at the time, but it eventually dropped after the cycle and has been a steady 7.6 since.

I have a spare bag of sand left. This is it on the picture. Does anyone know if I have maybe bought the incorrect sand :crazy:

I just tested the PH again and it is 8.2 for sure.

p1150666.jpg

Just dump some in a container of tap water and test in 24 hours. If it's 8.2 you've got your culprit.

I was worried about some bio balls in the filter altering the ph, but it turns out I may have sand that does that :sick:
I am not concerned about that now as it is good for the cycle. I'll see how it goes when it's finished.
Is there any other possible explanation why Ph may rise during a cycle?

Most reactions

trending

Back