Tetra : Pseudomugil Signifer

apistoworld(HK)

New Member
Joined
May 12, 2008
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Points
0
tetra : Pseudomugil signifer


87984.jpg


87986.jpg


87980.jpg


87981.jpg
 
That's not a tetra at all, it's a blue eye. They are Australian natives closely related to rainbowfish.
If it is indeed P. signifer, it will grow to about 4 cm. The fish you have there is a female and an extremely well coloured example of one.

EDIT: Been looking at the photos closely. How big is it? If it's less than about 2cm long it could be a juvenile male, or a juvie male Pseudomugil mellis. The dark yellow flush on the back half of the body is atypical for P. signifer but the fins look otherwise like a P. signifer female. It could just be a very well fed female.
It is probably P. signifer because signifer and gertrudae (spotted blue eye) are the easiest to obtain. P. mellis overseas is almost unheard of. They're almost impossible to get in Australia unless you know where to go to catch your own.
 
Definetly a young male Signifer rainbow, they are fun fish. But I found them a little too pushy for my liking. I adore my gertrudae's though...
 
Gertrudae rocks! I think I've managed to track some down. I'm going to have to pay a fortune for them, but then I can get a fortune for the fry, so they'll pay me back in the end.

Have you seen connieae? I'd KILL for some of those.
 
Mikaila, very nice gertrudae photo in your sig.

I've got 5. 2 males and 3 females but haven't seen any indication of them spawning and haven't seen any fry. Lots of displaying though. Any advice on getting them to spawn? Do they need soft water to spawn?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top