italktomyfish
New Member
- Joined
- Aug 4, 2008
- Messages
- 3
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
My tank sprung a leak the other day (the day I went on holiday, typical). Spent half an hour that should have been spent packing reducing the water level down to below the level of the leak, and sawing a couple of inches off my undergravel filter tube so my powerhead was still underwater! Four days later, my fish are still happy as Larry and the tank looks kinda cool half full!
However, I now have to fix the leak, which is in one of the corner joins, and requires pretty much total drying out before I can reseal it. It's 20g, 1 plec, 1 clown loach, 1 opal gourami, pair dwarf gourami, 3 harlequin rasbora. Not having a lot of spare cash, I nipped down to my lfs to see what they suggested. Came back with a little starter tank (my first fish tank, complete with cute fish stickers!) and a mat for under my bigger tank to reduce the chance of further leaks. The mini tank came complete with filter, and I've transferred my heater across, the fish have been in there in original tank water for a few of hours and they all seem fine.
My problem is, that it's only a 3g tank, with that number of fish will it be ok for probably four days while I sort my other tank out? I really don't want to kill my fish, 2 of them especially have been through a lot to get where they are today! Should I get another mini tank and heater (can always use them as quarantine tanks, or thought I might try my hand at breeding the gouramis) or should they be ok in the one tank? Strangely, my opal gourami, who can be very nippy, seems a lot less aggressive in a smaller space. Could this be due to more dense planting (have put all my 'fake' plants in there, live ones are still in the main tank in about 1 inch of water)? Anyone else found this?
Any advice much appreciated
However, I now have to fix the leak, which is in one of the corner joins, and requires pretty much total drying out before I can reseal it. It's 20g, 1 plec, 1 clown loach, 1 opal gourami, pair dwarf gourami, 3 harlequin rasbora. Not having a lot of spare cash, I nipped down to my lfs to see what they suggested. Came back with a little starter tank (my first fish tank, complete with cute fish stickers!) and a mat for under my bigger tank to reduce the chance of further leaks. The mini tank came complete with filter, and I've transferred my heater across, the fish have been in there in original tank water for a few of hours and they all seem fine.
My problem is, that it's only a 3g tank, with that number of fish will it be ok for probably four days while I sort my other tank out? I really don't want to kill my fish, 2 of them especially have been through a lot to get where they are today! Should I get another mini tank and heater (can always use them as quarantine tanks, or thought I might try my hand at breeding the gouramis) or should they be ok in the one tank? Strangely, my opal gourami, who can be very nippy, seems a lot less aggressive in a smaller space. Could this be due to more dense planting (have put all my 'fake' plants in there, live ones are still in the main tank in about 1 inch of water)? Anyone else found this?
Any advice much appreciated







