LauraFrog
Fish Gatherer
So basically, it was 'chuck spack on internet' or 'yell at junior sales assistant who had nothing to do with it'.
My LFS had a beautiful, huge goldfish on display in a 3ft tank. As in bigger than my hand. The fish had evidently grown too large for the tank, and they had nothing larger. The fish was an old friend of theirs and so they reduced the price from $40 to $10 in the hope that somebody with appropriate facilities would buy it. I was in there weds and they were kind of upset because they had sold the goldfish and they missed it. I mean these people REALLY care about their fish. So they were going on about how they were happy because the person who bought it had a 'nice big tank' for it.
I saw the fish yesterday. It's in Crazy Clarks, which is like a two-dollar store full of cheap junk. They sell these aquarium kits with an air pump, air-driven filter (which doesn't work because the air goes into it at the bottom - totally blowing the uptake mechanism) glitter stones - about 3cm diameter so no biological filtration there either - on the bottom, a fake plant, and a 3 gal glass tank. So this magnificent goldfish is in a tank that would be lucky to be three times its length.
People like that ABSOLUTELY DRIVE ME CRAZY. I would offer to swap the goldfish for a pair of platies (though the tank is even too small for them but they could handle it better - would have room to turn anyway.) But where would it get me? I doubt they'd agree, because two platies, even nicely coloured ones, aren't as attention grabbing as a huge goldfish struggling to move in this thimble!
What can I do? As far as I know there are no prevention of cruelty laws against putting fish in small tanks. I wonder how long it will be before ammonia buildup in that tank will kill the fish. I seriously doubt that anyone added any bacteria cultures to the water (they are expensive) and it's probably fed every time there's a queue there to impress people. It's a long weekend for Easter, so that's four days before I can get back into there, ask to speak to the supervisor and read him the riot act. I mean, even if he won't let me take the fish I can tell him that he HAS to cycle the tank or he will kill it. And even if I can convince him to sell it back to me - for three times what he paid - what can I do? My largest tank is 15 gals - I keep livebearers spread out over a load of small tanks. My parents do NOT get fishkeeping. My chances of getting a big tank because I saw one person mistreating one fish? nil.
PLEASE HELP ME! I really don't want that goldfish to die. It's such an intelligent creature - my LFS really cares for their fish and they had it trained too. Is there anything I can do?
My LFS had a beautiful, huge goldfish on display in a 3ft tank. As in bigger than my hand. The fish had evidently grown too large for the tank, and they had nothing larger. The fish was an old friend of theirs and so they reduced the price from $40 to $10 in the hope that somebody with appropriate facilities would buy it. I was in there weds and they were kind of upset because they had sold the goldfish and they missed it. I mean these people REALLY care about their fish. So they were going on about how they were happy because the person who bought it had a 'nice big tank' for it.
I saw the fish yesterday. It's in Crazy Clarks, which is like a two-dollar store full of cheap junk. They sell these aquarium kits with an air pump, air-driven filter (which doesn't work because the air goes into it at the bottom - totally blowing the uptake mechanism) glitter stones - about 3cm diameter so no biological filtration there either - on the bottom, a fake plant, and a 3 gal glass tank. So this magnificent goldfish is in a tank that would be lucky to be three times its length.
People like that ABSOLUTELY DRIVE ME CRAZY. I would offer to swap the goldfish for a pair of platies (though the tank is even too small for them but they could handle it better - would have room to turn anyway.) But where would it get me? I doubt they'd agree, because two platies, even nicely coloured ones, aren't as attention grabbing as a huge goldfish struggling to move in this thimble!
What can I do? As far as I know there are no prevention of cruelty laws against putting fish in small tanks. I wonder how long it will be before ammonia buildup in that tank will kill the fish. I seriously doubt that anyone added any bacteria cultures to the water (they are expensive) and it's probably fed every time there's a queue there to impress people. It's a long weekend for Easter, so that's four days before I can get back into there, ask to speak to the supervisor and read him the riot act. I mean, even if he won't let me take the fish I can tell him that he HAS to cycle the tank or he will kill it. And even if I can convince him to sell it back to me - for three times what he paid - what can I do? My largest tank is 15 gals - I keep livebearers spread out over a load of small tanks. My parents do NOT get fishkeeping. My chances of getting a big tank because I saw one person mistreating one fish? nil.
PLEASE HELP ME! I really don't want that goldfish to die. It's such an intelligent creature - my LFS really cares for their fish and they had it trained too. Is there anything I can do?







