Tankmates For Shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

xautomaticflowersx

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm interested in getting some cherry shrimp, but I am also interested in getting a couple of rams. Whilst rams are quite peaceful fish, do you think that they would hassle the shrimp excessively? Also, if the shrimp were to breed and spawn would the rams eat the neonates?
The tank I intend on putting them in is a fully cycled, mature aquarium which is heavily planted with Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Riccia fluitans and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya' and currently has no inhabitants. It's got quite a bit of established algae growth going on so the shrimp certainly wouldn't go hungry! This tank has lots and lots of hiding places and broken lines of sight, which may or may not make a difference. I'm really interested in any opinions people may have! I've not kept shrimp before, but I really like them and would love to give this a go with the proper advice! ^_^

I haven't kept rams or shrimp in a while, so I don't know what would happen between the two species, but the fish would definately eat the shrimp's spawn.

Righto... thankyou. I thought as much, since rams love brine shrimp etc. it makes sense! Anyone else have any thoughts on keeping rams with shrimp? :/

I have tiger shrimp and as long as you ahve plenty of hiding spaces I think they should be fine. I made so many hiding spaces for my shrimp and they have taken to hiding behind the piece of plastic that keeps my internal filter attached to the glass!

Ha... typical!
Thanks for that, I think I should be OK with the shrimp and rams then.

I had to give away my two Bolivian Rams because they enjoyed eating my expensive Amano and Cherry shrimp.

So i wouldn't risk it unless you enjoy giving your rams an expensive little snack

Paul.

The rams I wanted to get are Microgeophagus ramirezi, rather than Microgeophagus altispinosus. Aren't the bolivian rams more aggressive anyway? -_-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back