Tankmate Suggestions For My Cherry Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hayleyendersby

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have a 35L tank that is fully cycled and I added 7 Red Cherry Shrimp last week. They are doing really well and actively moving around and making the tank home. I want it to be mainly the shrimp but I would maybe like to add a fish or two. Any suggestions of suitable tank mates? I really don't want the shrimp to become shy and hide away so if its better to leave it just shrimps, let me know. Thanks

I have celestial pearl danios (or galaxy rasboras as often named in LFS). You need a small shoal though but they are tiny!!!

celestial pearl danios are awesome! They look cool, are small so the shrimp will still pop out, and shoud be in shoals of 6 or more.

great ideas so far thanks guys. Oh, and looking in the tank today there are 3 tiny snails, which I'm thinking must have hitch-hiked in on the live plants. I've found threads on here and it seems they may multiply quite rapidly. Would it be a good idea to get some assassin snails to keep them under control? Would they be ok with the shrimps and/or any other fish i put in?

I have shrimp in with Cpd's & chilli rasboras, the Cpd will munch any tiny babies if they can find them but as cherry shrimp are prolific breeders it doesn't really affect their numbers

With regards to your snails, if there are 3 already there is probably more on the way!  I have given up, I occasionally suck them up when cleaning but I find with a few shrimps and some algae eating snails such as nerites (that do not spread or breed) keep their populations down as there is not enough food for them.  To be honest, if you are not too bothered by a handfull in there they are actually really good at cleaning smaller things such as the thinner leaves on plants and add a bit of interest to smaller tanks
yes.gif

Bit difficult to see as they were too quick but heres the CPD in my 48L
20130906_165419.jpg

I've got ember tetra in with some RCS. All ok so far.
Ember tetra can look a bit pale in the fish shops. They colour real nice when you get them home & look after them well

Thanks guys. I found a really great supplier who had some of the more unusual shrimps, small fish and snails that I've never seen in my LFS. They had some really great reviews, they package and send the fish really carefully with heat packs etc, even though i must admit I am a tad nervous of ordering and having fish sent to me, and not actually going to the place. Never done this before so we'll see how it goes! Fingers crossed because  I have ordered some Endlers as their colours look great, also found some cool looking yellow cherry shrimp, blueberry shrimp and bumblebee shrimp. I also ordered a pair of assassin snails as I'd prefer to have a couple of these than have the others! They are due to arrive tomorrow so I'm eagerly awaiting their (hopefully) safe arrival. I'll post an update when they've arrived and hopefully a nice picture too! :)

Thats awesome,  looking foreward to some pictures, especially the blueberry shrimp!  They have some Bumblebee Shrimp in a LFS near me, think they like really clean water to thrive so worth keeping up on the water changes and lots of live plants
book.gif

Which supplier did you find?  I am quite interested in the Blueberry shrimp!

i hope this works, this is a link to the blueberry shrimp, they are gorgeous and I can't wait to see them!! http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l180/pict/271203031443_1.jpg

The supplier i have ordered from is Kesgrave.tropicals via ebay. They have so many varieties of fish, shrimp and snails, i was spoilt for choice
wink.png

Oh and i totally missed the red nose rhino shrimps off the list!!! I ordered 2 of those funky looking dudes!!!

Great, thanks for the link and the info on the supplier!  Can see me making some investments!

Ah, I have a pinnocchio shrimp which I think is the 'red nose rhino shrimp'...They are the best, so clumsy but really brave.  Just a note, I had one sucked into the filter as they are very weak swimmers and quite thin so worth covering up anything they can get sucked into

Ok, so the parcel arrived 9am this morning! Bright and early and very well packed, everything alive and well! They are all settling into their new home already
smile.png
 And of course i love them all but the red nose rhino's are very entertaining already! and the assassin snails haven't eaten anything yet but they seem to like taking a ride on each others backs!! I had already placed a pop sock over the filter inlet so hopefully nothing will get sucked up, thanks!!! I've tried to upload some photos but the files are too big so i'll work on getting some pics up soon!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back