Tankmate for Angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a single Blue Aureum can be housed with Angelfish?

Not sure. How big is your tank? Angels are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups or a bonded pair, keeping them solo they become reclusive and or aggressive and stressed

Not sure. How big is your tank? Angels are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups or a bonded pair, keeping them solo they become reclusive and or aggressive and stressed
I have a 75g tank. There would only be one of the cichlids I mentioned with 10 angelfish....all will start off similar in size.

Never kept blue flash cichlid but from what i understand they can be a bit shy and
I have a 75g tank. There would only be one of the cichlids I mentioned with 10 angelfish....all will start off similar in size.
Ive never kept blue flash cichlid, from what i understand is they are pretty shy and a group of angels might out compete him for food or bully it
Having said that if you havent bought your fish yet 75 is a bit on the smallish side for ten angels so adding anymore fish wouldnt be ideal. Angels need around 10 gallon per fish.

Never kept blue flash cichlid but from what i understand they can be a bit shy and

Ive never kept blue flash cichlid, from what i understand is they are pretty shy and a group of angels might out compete him for food or bully it
Having said that if you havent bought your fish yet 75 is a bit on the smallish side for ten angels so adding anymore fish wouldnt be ideal. Angels need around 10 gallon per fish.
Thank you for your advice! I forsee the tank being small as the angels mature. But they would be juveniles at the time of purchase. Maybe I can do more water changes and up my bio media and feed less?

If there are 10 angelfish in a 75g, a lone Thorichthys aureum is likely going to have serious trouble.

Thank you for your advice! I forsee the tank being small as the angels mature. But they would be juveniles at the time of purchase. Maybe I can do more water changes and up my bio media and feed less?
Its not just about bio load its about space. The most id do in a 75 gallon is six and then mix them with a dither fish. Dither fish help them feel safe and signal to them the absence of predators. Most people use tetras as dither fish for angels.

On the issue of 10 angelfish in a 75g tank...it is difficult to offer much advice because I don't know the whole picture (i.e., the intent behind this). I would not consider more than 5 or 6 angelfish in a 4-foot length tank (presumably the 75g is 4-feet) except in the case of a grow-out of fry. But even the 5-6 should not be viewed as a permanent set-up and there needs to be a back-up plan. For example, even with a group of five or six which is maximum here, they may form one (or more) pairs, and then immediate separation may be necessary. Presumably the ten are being grown out with the intent of moving them within a very few months into a much larger tank or individual tanks as pairs form ???.

On the issue of 10 angelfish in a 75g tank...it is difficult to offer much advice because I don't know the whole picture (i.e., the intent behind this). I would not consider more than 5 or 6 angelfish in a 4-foot length tank (presumably the 75g is 4-feet) except in the case of a grow-out of fry. But even the 5-6 should not be viewed as a permanent set-up and there needs to be a back-up plan. For example, even with a group of five or six which is maximum here, they may form one (or more) pairs, and then immediate separation may be necessary. Presumably the ten are being grown out with the intent of moving them within a very few months into a much larger tank or individual tanks as pairs form ???.

It is a 4-foot tank. I never knew there needed to be so much water volume and size for Angelfish. I would not go for 10 fish due to your advice. I had no idea that you need to separate pairs. I might just forget getting Angels...I've always wanted them but they seem too difficult in terms of logistics and needs.

I had a mated pair in a 55 gallon tank for many years. One grew to 6 inches and the other around 5 inches (body) They did fine but they are aggressive eaters at feeding time. You do not want to get between them and food if your another fish.

It is a 4-foot tank. I never knew there needed to be so much water volume and size for Angelfish. I would not go for 10 fish due to your advice. I had no idea that you need to separate pairs. I might just forget getting Angels...I've always wanted them but they seem too difficult in terms of logistics and needs.

Angelfish develop a social hierarchy within the group, and very early on. They need space for this structure to operate without stress to one or more of the fish in the group. In the habitat, it is easy for angelfish to get out of one another's way as needed, but even in such a setting it is obvious that they do not move far from each other. "Social distancing" in a fish perhaps. Each of the males wants "his" territory/space, and within the group this structure will quickly develop. The trouble is what happens or may happen next.

A bully can end this social structure quickly, leaving just the one male alive with his female(s) depending. Or a pair may form and decide to spawn, and the other fish will then be invaders and driven off. It takes a very large aquarium for this to play out naturally.

Angelfish develop a social hierarchy within the group, and very early on. They need space for this structure to operate without stress to one or more of the fish in the group. In the habitat, it is easy for angelfish to get out of one another's way as needed, but even in such a setting it is obvious that they do not move far from each other. "Social distancing" in a fish perhaps. Each of the males wants "his" territory/space, and within the group this structure will quickly develop. The trouble is what happens or may happen next.

A bully can end this social structure quickly, leaving just the one male alive with his female(s) depending. Or a pair may form and decide to spawn, and the other fish will then be invaders and driven off. It takes a very large aquarium for this to play out naturally.
What size aquarium would you say? 100? 130?

So let me see if I understand this. Only one pair per tank? I cannot keep multiple pairs?

You
So let me see if I understand this. Only one pair per tank? I cannot keep multiple pairs?
Could keep multiple pairs if you had a large enough tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back