Tankmate for Angelfish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Can two males live in the same tank together? If they were the only Angelfish?

What size aquarium would you say? 100? 130?

It depends on the number of angelfish. But the tank dimensions are much more crucial than mere volume, because we are dealing with territorial fish. Most reliable sources suggest a minimum of five (no shoal of angelfish should ever be fewer than five) and a group of five or six can usually be housed in a 4-foot aquarium with depth. A 55g or a 90g are long enough and deep (height) sufficient. The 90 is better because of the additional width (front to back, 18 inches rather than 12 inches). More angelfish in the group means longer tanks (same height, with preferably 18-inch width or more) so a 5-foot for say 7-8, and so on. This leads into cupofjoel's related question.

So let me see if I understand this. Only one pair per tank? I cannot keep multiple pairs?

We know the inherent traits/behaviours of the species, but we also know that not every fish will follow the norm. Putting the fish in too small of a space (as they consider it) will increase aggressive tendencies. As will having too few of the species. Individuality in fish is no different from other animals, even humans. Not everyone gets along with everyone else, or certain individuals. When dealing with a species that has this possibility, the aquarist must understand it and be prepared to deal with it should that become necessary.

If a pair forms and bonds, in a 4-foot tank it is more than probable that the pair will view the tank as "their space." So either they need to be re-homed, or the other three or four angelfish need to be re-homed. And of course, as soon as the other three or four are on their own, more trouble is likely as one of them (if one is male) will then become dominant in that group/space.

Can two males live in the same tank together? If they were the only Angelfish?

No, unquestionably, no. Assuming anything up to a 4-foot or even 5 or 6-foot tank, and also assuming of course that they are relatively healthy. One will be dominant, one not, and the dominant will kill the other in short order because it has invaded the dominant males' space, and in this small a tank there is no possible escape.

I had this occur with a pair of Bolivian Rams in a 5-foot tank. They spawned four times, but clearly did not bond initially, and overnight the female was killed by the male who had simply had enough. His territory was the full extent of a 5-foot by 18-inch 115g tank. He even controlled the characins when they annoyed him.

Here is the video I have posted on how to properly care for this fish. The tank dimensions are 200cm x 65cm x 65cm (78inches x 25in x 25in) so a 211 gallon (800 liter) tank. Down in the comments, the poster mentioned he considered this tank too small and was in the process of acquiring a much larger tank.

This is a group of 11 wild Pterophyllum scalare from the Rio Cuiuni, a tributary of the Rio Negro, Amazonas. The pushing and shoving is the hierarchy playing out. With less fish, or in a smaller tank, this would more likely quickly become deadly. But here the fish have what they expect.

Most reactions

Back