TANK TRANSFER

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What fish do you have in it and how far are you moving it?

5 guppies, a red cherry shrimp, a flying fox fish(?), and a pleco, and I need to move it by vehicle

How far are you going with it??? We need this info to know what you need.

I don’t know the distance, but it only takes 20 min to drive there

Put the tank water in a bucket. Place your fish in the bucket. Place the gravel or substrate in another bucket of tank water along with the filter media and decor. If your filter is a sponge filter or filter that hangs in tank you can add the entire thing to the bucket. Drain rest of tank. Move everything at once. Once at destination, set tank up and add substrate back. Hook up equipment and get tank running. Use existing tank water to start filling tank. Top off tank with dechlorinated water. Try to keep the temperature the same as fish is in. Place fish back in tank. Allow time for them to settle before feeding or doing anything to stress them. They do make battery powered air pumps if you want to add one to bucket fish are in. I believe for that short period of time they will be fine. Do everything as quickly as possible so as not to stress the fish out. Good luck!

Last edited:
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week before you go. that will clean the gunk pout of the gravel and make less mess when moving.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean you filter a week before you move. Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water.

The last 2 posts 100%

The most important thing is to keep the filter media submerged in tank water. I'd acclimate the fish as you normally would when getting new fish. There will likely be some slight temperature change at the very least when the tank is set up at it's new location.

And on a side note, the pleco (especially if it's a common pleco) requires a larger tank of around 125 gallons. The flying fox if that is what it is also needs a larger tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back