Tank stocking ideas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

carlsbozu

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm new to the hobby and I have a 36 gallon bow front tank that currently houses:
  • 1 thick-lipped gourami (unsure if male or female and if it should be kept in a pair or single)
  • 3 albino corydoras
  • 6 neon tetras
So far I plan on getting at least 4 more neons and maybe 3 more corydoras, but I'm open to suggestions on what other community fish to get or if what I will be getting will be enough for the tank.

Thank you in advance! :fish:

3 more corries is a must, get mire neons and maybe try another schoo of tetras or rasboras

Hello and Welcome to the forum. 10 neons is a good number, I had 15 until a couple died off. Glow light tetras are another good community fish, I have 10 and they get along well with neon tetra and look good together. They are small like neons.

Welcome to TFF.

Increasing the neons is a good idea. And as other members noted, you definitely need more cories. Corydoras are shoaling fish requiring a group of their own to be less stressed, and the more the better, subject to the tank limitations obviously. The same species, or you can mix them. All tetras are also shoaling, and 10 neons is a good number.

The single Bristlenose is fine; just make sure there is at least one chunk of real wood, as these fish must graze wood; they do not "eat" it as food, but they do consume what they graze and it is necessary for a healthy interior.

As for the gourami, this species (Trichogaster labiosa) is quite peaceful and a small group would work. However, males are territorial (like all gourami species) and it might be best to leave the present fish on his/her own.

You have lots of options for additional species. Other peaceful tetras (some are, some are not and will nip fins on gourami), rasboras (also shoaling species) would be OK.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back