Tank smells.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

E

emmaandpaul

hi new to this , tank s all running cycled with fish in and noticed today that the room smelt funny, the smell lead me to the fish tank , im guessing that the water is sposed to smell a bit but as i did a water change yesterday im wondering if its the filter? it is a ver strong smell and the filter has got fluffy pinky sort of color bits around it , im thinking it needs cleaning , right ???

any advice appreciated .

:)

My tank smells a bit. :S
If it did not smell a bit i would think something is wrong. :D

mmm :) but mine seems to smell very strongly, i lift the lid to feed the fish and get a strong woft if i were to breathe in it wud not be nice !

well im gonna see how goes if it gets too unbearable im gonna change water and clean filter see wat happens.

Any advice still be appreciated ...

i can only smell my tank but very slightly when i open the cover

suck out some water from the top of the tank, run the intake tube in the water for a bit and wash the filter media in the water, make sure you wash it good so the water turns green/brownish. I think that's what smells (decaying food/plants/fish poo) and you want to wash it good but don't rinse it with tap water or you will kill all the bacterias

that's how I got rid of the smell. I suggest doing this every other week

thanks for all the help lovleless , cheese spcl.

im gonna try that ! :thumbs:

make sure there are no dead fish, do a role call. One of my fish died and i didnt realize it and it stank up my whole room!! it was insane, it's the ammonia that produces that killer smell. If you feel like gagging when you breathe in, then that's most probably what it is.

HTH,
NeX

My daughter's tank smelled really bad a while back the filter in particular really stunk. Smelled like rotting oranges - almost made your eyes water. It was due to overfeeding. If uneaten food get sucked into the filter it will rot there. I rinsed out the bio media really well in tank water to get out any loose debris. Cleaned the filter housing with a filter brush, did a large water change then put a huge bag of carbon in the filter. In about a week the bad smell was gone then I removed the carbon. I started really monitoring my daughter at fish feeding time and we haven't had the problem since. A healthy tank may have a slightly earthy smell but if it smells bad there is something wrong.

I agree, overfeeding is a big cause of smells, food gets stuck in the gravel or filter and decays... how much do you feed?

Aquariums should be practically odorless.

mines got a fresh smell -_- i know i know not the best way to put it... lets try somthin else :no:

right u know after a thunderstorm full rain ect? earth light smell? well its kinda like that but not as strong... its quite a pleasent smeel (part of the relaxing effect i think) but i only get a slight wiff of this as im cleaning my glass with my scrapper... in other words my nose nearly touchin the water as my tanks on a 3ft stand and my tank height works out an extra foot an half... wich makes it near enough as tall as me an i have to do tippy toes :(

but i dont mind as long as i dont get my nose bitten off or somthin lmao

the smell has tamed down a bit now , i think its pehaps down too food sucked into the filter and rotted there, i don tthink its the water that smeels bad just the filter so im gonna give it a clean in tank water and obviuosly do a water change too , hopefully this will rid the smell.

I only feed 2 or times a day no more than they eat in bout 2 mins , i watch them to make sure that it doesnt waste too much , my corys genrally eat the overs on the gravel if there is any.

Most reactions

Back