Tank Size For Senegal Bichir?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ricky Savage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
it says 10 inches is average in fish index, but the guy at my LFS said he's seen one that was 3 feet long. From what ive read they dont get much past 12 inches so he was prolly wrong right? I have a empty 45 gallon and was hoping to have a community with one in it. the tank is 36'x18'x15.5' , would that be ok or should i go bigger?

it says 10 inches is average in fish index, but the guy at my LFS said he's seen one that was 3 feet long. From what ive read they dont get much past 12 inches so he was prolly wrong right? I have a empty 45 gallon and was hoping to have a community with one in it. the tank is 36'x18'x15.5' , would that be ok or should i go bigger?

I keep my senegal bichir in a 40gal so a 45 would work for sure :good: Just remeber that it will eat fish smaller than 3 inches :good:

The tank is fine for a senegal which should reach 10-12 inches-Anne

even ornates don't get that long. I'm not even sure that ropefish do. But they're from the same family, so the untrained employee could confuse them -_-

I say if it's at least 3 feet long, go for it.

thanks everybody, that guy had me worried cuz i was pumped to get one yesterday until he told me otherwise. I was thinking on getting some upside-down cats for the tank too..they only get four inches...do the senegals ever attack anything larger than 3 inches?

''do the senegals ever attack anything larger than 3 inches?''This will depend on the senegals agression level
some are very laidback and mellow and some can be be fairly agressive and territorial its really kind of a try it and watch carefully for agression and be ready to seperate them-Anne

If you get upside down cats you need 4 or more as they need/should be kept in large groups as in their native area schools of hundreds are found...and they will be very shy if left by themselves...

yepp i planned on getting 5 or more...i wouldnt keep a schooling fish on their lonesome my white skirt chose to be alone by chasing all of his own species 2 years back...haha . Plus i Plan on setting up another tank soon anyways so their can be sepoaration if problems ensue, thank you all for your help

There is only one bichir that will get 3ft, Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri, and you will almost never see one of thoes around, so God knows what the chap at the LFS was talking about.

The largest of the polypterids (bichirs) is Polypterus endlicheri congicus which can approach 39'' under the right conditions.
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri tops out at roughly 32'' not much of a difference really lol-Anne

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back