Tank Setup Idea - Practical?

ahodge84

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ohio, USA
Hello folks, I am currently preparing to set up a 55 gal as an upgrade to my 37. I was wondering - since I just tested my water the other day and PH, Ammonia, etc. were all where they need to be, would it be doable to take the filter setup from my 37 and run it in my 55 to cycle it, while at the same time using the new filter in the 37 to help build up 'good' bacteria in it? It sounds good to me, for using the 'old' filter in the new tank would circulate the bacteria in it throughout the new setup, while at the same time, using the 'new' filter in the old tank would allow bacteria to build up in that media. Good idea? Or no? Thanks for any help!
 
I would just take the new filter cartridge and put it in your old filter box in a spot where it wont get in the way but build up bacteria quicker :good:
 
I would do that, but my current filter is a cartridge-style while the new one is a canister. Good idea, though!
 
You should be able to move all the filter media from your current filter and place it in the external filter, trf the fish at the same time and voila instantly cycled tank, obviously you will need to stock slowly to allow the bacteria to build up in line with the fish you have. Or run the current filter onthe new tank for 4 weeks alongside the new filter (again trf the fish at the same time), after 4 weeks the new external should have build up enough bacteria to cope with the waste load, again stock slowly afterwards.
 
Or do as i'm doing and run the mature filter in the new tank for a month or so. I'll then move the mature sponges into the external at the next filter clean in a couple of weeks, and then a month later take them out once the new media in the filter is populated. I don't know though, I may have to get a powerhead as the fish seem to enjoy the extra flow.
 
Thanks for all of the help, folks. I have a good idea of what to do now? :thanks:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top