Tank Mates Need

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I have a 10 Gallon Tank with 4 Rasboras, 2 Swordtails, 3 Cardinal Tetras, and a huge Chinese Algae eater. The algae eater has got to go, so i want something to take his place. First, i need a new algae eater. Either shrimp or something, but I have learned Chinese algae eaters grow to big too fast. Then, im not sure whether to get more of what I have or a few of another fish. What do you all suggest.

I take good care of my tank, so I think i can add more than the one inch per gallon rule. They have plenty of room, and poo/ ammonia is not an issue in my tank.

Thanks
 
I have a 10 Gallon Tank with 4 Rasboras, 2 Swordtails, 3 Cardinal Tetras, and a huge Chinese Algae eater. The algae eater has got to go, so i want something to take his place. First, i need a new algae eater. Either shrimp or something, but I have learned Chinese algae eaters grow to big too fast. Then, im not sure whether to get more of what I have or a few of another fish. What do you all suggest.

I take good care of my tank, so I think i can add more than the one inch per gallon rule. They have plenty of room, and poo/ ammonia is not an issue in my tank.

Thanks
The Chinese algae eater does get quite big and quarralsome ( the same has been said about flying foxes aswell)The bristlenose catfish would be a good alternative for you as they are peaceful and will certainly clean your tank for you. They are unlikely to exceed 4 inches. you will probably want to offer additional food though such as algae waffers / veg etc. I have had bulldog plec which has stayed at about 3 1/2 inches since I have had him ( 4 years)and it cleans the tank and the glass ( i used to have to use a magnet on the glass but no more!) They are peaceful although protective over algae waffers /food but i look at this as an endearing quality.
both suggestions will make good tankmates to your setup!
 
i would say the bristlenose is too much of a heavy waste producer for a 10 gallon tank, i've seen some hefty looking BN's in my time.

for that tank, you're pretty much stocked. if you're having algae problems take care of it yourself with elbow grease and limited light. if you must add anything, a couple more cardinal tetras, but really i think they need more swimming room.
 
Either amano shrimp or otto's, but you are stocked pretty good already so you can't have too many and ottos like to be in groups and amano's are hardier so perhaps get 3 amano shrimp
 
Hmm tank sounds pretty fine tbh, althought you could add 3 oto's they will keep algea down and do a good job. and defo get rid of the CAE

Bn's get too big at around 6" for there whole life in a 10g

DA
 

Most reactions

Back
Top