Tank Mates For Honduran Red Points

I think the 3x1 would be good if you got dividers you would be able to keep different broods separate (if you wanted). I'm planning a 6 foot upgrade in the coming months just saving up at the moment for everything and Im planning on keeping a few groups of cichlids so expecting a few spawns in the long run and I want to do a few tanks for fry and I was thinking of a few 3x1s would do well with dividers. As most of the ones I am planning would be able to spawn in the 3ft then I can leave the eggs/fry in the breeding tank and put the parents back in the show tank.

Wills

wow sounds sweet, i would love to have a 6 footer. my biggest right now is my 110g show tank of africans, but im not that impressed with it at the moment. ok so the 20long tank, now if i understood you correctly your say your giong to have a couple of them and then move the parents in one of them before she lays the eggs? with HRPs how can you tell they are about to spawn??? i have only bread africans which hold eggs in their mouth and its obvious to see when they will drop them. but im not as familiar with new age cichlid breeding

When mine are about to breed it is very easy to tell - mine breed nearly every Saturday after the water change. But obviously she has to prepare the eggs before hand and you can see her getting fat sometimes it is very obvious as well also she gets a little tube underneath her between her bottom fins - both of the mating pair get their best colours out as well. I need to run my plans past others on here first but Im hoping to have 2 species of cichlids and if pairs occur I would rather let them get on with it out of the show tank than cause a rucuss - also if I can successfully raise the fry I know I will have outlets for them so it will help with the running costs of the big tank set up (eventually)

WoW really every week they spawn? i didnt know that they were that prolific. i was just wondering on spawning signs because one of my females that has grown faster is light bright orange in her stomach the last few days and really bright fins also. i have seen her a few times inside the smallest of my clay pots like cleaning the surface and pushing the gravel out of it

Yep that sounds like shes getting ready :) When the males start joining in you will have your first pair :) - Yeah mine go every week but the past couple have failed the last one failed yesterday and they are both pretty stressed today males bars are nearly gone and they are constantly chasing but my female can kick my males #16##### so she is just being dismissive atm. A big meal of live food and a nice water change tonight for them me thinks:)

what diet do you keep your on? mine i just simply feed flakes, cichlid pellets anb bloodworms and they definitely devour it all. lol they are always hungry. they are all ready use to me feeding them bloodworms from my hand so even if im just cleaning the tank, they come peckin my hand

Mine wont hand feed yet :( My female is close but still cautious. I feed mine on blood worm flake and lots of live food my local MA has 10 packs of food for £5 which is awesome so I give them most of the pack and chuck the rest to my puffers. Also my HRP usually nick off with some of my plecs algae wafers which they dont get thanked for. At the moment I am trying to pack them with protein for growth and size gain as they will slow grow due to all the energy of breeding.

Wills

fulltank.jpg
full tank shot there as well :)

this is my male :) best pic I can get of him but not his best colours.
male.jpg

what kind of live food do you get? yeah all my HRPs and my 8 tiger barbs swarm my hand its awesome. but i usually do flakes and then frozen bloodworms about twice or thrice a week. great tank shot i wish i could find a java fern that big. what is the laong plant flowing across the top of the water? your male is looking good. i can see he is starting to get the little hump in the top of his head :)

I usually just get live bloodworm and daphnia and they all go nuts for both of them. The java fern was bargain of the century £35 and it was that size with the wood when I got it its hard to keep under control tbh lol. The big plants is giant valis again growing at a ridiculous rate

Most reactions

Back