tank heating

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

caz27

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just wondering how many fish tank heaters i should use in my 6ft tank? i have 2 300watts and 1 200 watt

Thanks
Caz

I would use the 2 300 watt heaters. If you place them near the water movement from filters/air stones the heat will be spread out evenly.

>>> sump system you could put one in there so you don't have to look at all the equipment

Or consider thermo filters for the same reason. I hate to set the "workings" in the tank.

Good rough guide is 1 watt per 1 litre or 4 watts per 1 US gallon.

edit: of course this only works on larger tanks of at least 100 litres or 25 US gallons, for smaller tanks just use the minimum sized heater you can find, usually around 100 watts though 50w heaters may be available.

I have 2 300w heaters in a 165l tank in an unheated garage. Is this too much, bearing in mind I only run both over the winter?

Mj

Ps Apologies for hijacking your thread Caz

As long as both heaters are good quallity and working properly then they cant cause any harm, probably best to leave both in as i hear it gets rather cold up there in Scotland and one heater might struggle to keep the water warm enough.

Of course, it also depends on the temperature that you keep your home. In my last place my now ex-girlfriend kept it so warm that I took all my heaters out of the tanks.

Most reactions

Back